302, heads found...

-

highflyer

Reaction score
first vehicle i came to...318 pulled a valve cover and there they were...302.s..spent a few min taking out bolts and realized it was a stick shift 84 318 short wheel base 1/2 ton van..i thougt a 3 speed,,,,went under the hood and looked at the data ,and it said a833 4 speed..went under and yep..pulled trans bell fork and linkage...how lucky....spent from 10 till 5 pulling parts ..thanks for all your help for the info and article on heads...worthwile reading..my only question is,,,did mopar use a clutch with three fingers ..stock.. or lots of fingers on the pressure plate..this one i think someone did a clutch job.it had the pressure plate with lots of fingers..and the 302 heads looked fresh..i think the heads are plug and play..thanks all...j

Great score! The 3 finger clutch (Borg and Beck) did come stock. If it has a diaphragm clutch (lots of little fingers) it is a replacement. Is the transmission cast iron? It could be a overdrive but I'm not familiar with what years they came in.

i do not know how to use this website and i am not a computer person just joined this web site and i need to ask some questions i have a 72 dodge demon i am in the process of restoring and do not know how to put a thread on this site if any one can help me i would greatly appreicate it

It is a alum case,i put a magnet on it ..front half non magnetic ,tail magnetic...alum and steel...i havnt had a chance to pull the bell off and see if it has a plug up front..thats the only way i can tell...but im doing it tomorrow...clutc cover actually looked relatively new...too many signs of work on it..heads had fresh surface marks...some factory bolts were not there,,,like thermostat cover bolts..trans crossmember wrong bolt..every thing real oily..like whoever sealed intake didnt know how..when i lifted the int mani the rear rail gasket fell out..no rtv in the corners..oil everywhere...it said im tired of this oily mess and whoever owned prolly it turned it in..ex mans had felpro gaskets,some wrong bolts..little signs..im excited tho...j

i do not know how to use this website and i am not a computer person just joined this web site and i need to ask some questions i have a 72 dodge demon i am in the process of restoring and do not know how to put a thread on this site if any one can help me i would greatly appreicate it

thomas just go to forums in the banner. click it and find the appropriate forum then click new thread. post away and welcome.

IF the 2 levers on the side cover face the same way, it's a standard 4spd.
IF one of the levers faces up and the other down, it is a overdrive trans.

Go back and grab the flywheel, so everything is matched, no guess work.

-
Back