302 heads

-

canner78

canner78
Reaction score
i am totally new to dodge stuff. i was a chevy guy untill i was reacently given a 74 dart sport for my dad. so now that i am into dodges i want to build up the stock 318 that is in my car. i keep hearing about these 302 dodge heads off of newer 318s. how can i tell the differance. are all newer 318s 302 heads. what did the come on? what would be my compression ratio if i go with flat tops and these 302 heads. thanks for the help i need it.
vbpgimage.php

The "302" is the last three numbers of the casting number found on the head under the valve cover. They also have a very distinctive heart shaped combustion chamber. They can be found on virtually every 2 bbl 318 from the mid 80's until '92 when the magnum came out. If you find a 4 bbl 318 in these years they will not have the 302 heads on them. These 318's had 360 top ends on them.

These heads will add about .5 to .75 compression to a 318.

Chuck

Head gasket dependent. The factory used a thin steel gaskest @ .024 - .028 thick. Most replacements come in @ appox. .039.

If your replaceing pistons with a KB zero deck flat top, the approx. ratio jumps to 10.0-1 but is useable due to the quenched area the head delivers. (Calculated with a .039 gasket in mind.)

Where at? Theres a few complaints on here and other board about not being able to get them.
Recent MoPar gasket kits do not have them inside anymore. The Fel-Pro gaskets come inside instead.

i believe its mr gasket or something like that its in a summit or jegs catalog not sure but they do sell them for like 40 dollars

I've used them for more than 15 years, they first were made by chrysler then by fel pro, then victor and now corteco, and they been holding up just fine with 11.0:1.

-
Back