302 heads

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
So I'm getting information ready for my engine rebuild. I want to install a set of 302 heads on my 273, but i got to find a set first. What identifying marks are on them to know i have a set? Which cars did they come on? Pictures? And what truly makes them so superior?

I also am looking for a set of exhaust manifolds that were on the Dodge Dakotas, but don't know what years would fit my 273.. I should probably make a separate post about that however..

thanks, you guys/gals rock

Production 318 cid engines in 1986-1991 model year trucks. The thing that makes them better than other small block heads (at least for a mild street build) is the closed chambers and swirl ports. The closed chambers add some quench area to the chambers and are smaller in volume than most other open chamber heads of earlier years. If my 318 has bent valves from a slipped timing chain I'm thinking I'm going to go junkyard diving for a pair of 302's and build a nice mild street engine for my Duster that should give me better gas mileage and torque. Although, for a more aggressive/larger displacement engine the Magnums would be a better choice, for the 302's aren't spectacular in the flow department.

spectacular, no. but a little porting and there just as good as anything else. intake roof is also way more raised.. lots potential there. the STOCK exhaust ports anihilate any other stock head flow #'s.
they can also be found in vans from 86-91.

The heart shape chamber has a point that should be smoothed to prevent detonation. I have some pics but are probably to large for here.

You will find them in 318 powered New Yorkers, Diplomats etc. They are a dime a dozen around here. I heard they are crack prone. The set I own have a raised "J" on the outside near the spark plug holes. Mag them before investing any work in them!

Another alternative head is a 273 head that I just bought. I think it was only made for 1 or 2 years. They are closed chamber. Maybe 68-69?

this so I can get my email notification. This is with the point removed/ground down.

garage cleaning  dogs TQ on the jet heater 037.jpg

GREAT info, thanks guys! I'll look for that raised J when i'm out there. You say the other alternative is a 273 head? what would be the difference between my 273's heads and the ones from 68-69?

Have you looked at your head now to see if it is the closed chamber kind? I am not sure on the casting number I can get it tonight or tomorrow. This 273 CC head was a new one to me.

Not all the 302's have the J. Pull the cover it will have the casting number in the head last 3 digits is XXXX302

GREAT info, thanks guys! I'll look for that raised J when i'm out there. You say the other alternative is a 273 head? what would be the difference between my 273's heads and the ones from 68-69?
never seen a raised "J" on any 4323302 cylinder heads. but I'll take Rug_Trucker's word on that one.
the #1 reason why nobodies to fond of them is hardly anybodys ever done serious work on them.
Ryan @ ShadyDell(?) has done a few sets, IMO the flow #'s where fantastic, with alot more left in them.
If you can work past the pushrod hump (like I did), they flow baby! There's an old nickname for the "302s"... the W1.

As far as the 0ld 273/318 heads, they make great anchors. they are really thin along the floor and roof,
and theres not much you can do.

never seen a raised "J" on any 4323302 cylinder heads. but I'll take Rug_Trucker's word on that one.
the #1 reason why nobodies to fond of them is hardly anybodys ever done serious work on them.
Ryan @ ShadyDell(?) has done a few sets, IMO the flow #'s where fantastic, with alot more left in them.
If you can work past the pushrod hump (like I did), they flow baby! There's an old nickname for the "302s"... the W1.

As far as the 0ld 273/318 heads, they make great anchors. they are really thin along the floor and roof,
and theres not much you can do.

That's great info. But, is it hard/cost a lot/take a long time to port them? Say I wanted to bolt them onto a stock 318 short block, how much would I gain out of porting/cleaning up a pair of these heads?

One of the things you gain with the 302s, in addition to previous mentions, are hardened exhaust valve seats (for unleaded fuel).

The engines they came on had roller cams. If you look at an engine with the intake off, but the heads on, and see the lifter retainer in the block, it will probably have 302s if it is a 318/5.2 liter. To confirm, pull a valve cover. If the number cast into the head has 302 at the end, it is what you are looking for.

I did the same to my 273 in which I added the 302s. It upped the compression and made the motor come to life. The exhaust note was much deeper and cleaner. I have them on a 10.7 compression 360 now (torque monster). I'll work with them a little more when the time comes.

That's great info. But, is it hard/cost a lot/take a long time to port them? Say I wanted to bolt them onto a stock 318 short block, how much would I gain out of porting/cleaning up a pair of these heads?
just cleaning the casting flash, and port matching about 1/2" deep into the port will give you a noticable difference.
i would get 1.88/1.60 valves installed, seats ground to 70/45/15 degrees, and clean the pocket below the valves.
typical gains would prolly be in the 30-50hp range, again depending on the amount and quality of work you decide to do.
on my heads i went nuts.. to the point of adding copper sleeves to the pushrod guides. the intake port for example
was opened to 2.18" x 1.18"! makes a boss 302 intake port look like a straw lol. but for the amount of work I did, its only
a matter of time for when stress cracks will develop (or mabey they wont..who knows). nothin like thumpin with
"stock" cast iron heads LOL.

GREAT info, thanks guys. do you think my stock commando 273 4 barrel intake manifold will still bolt onto the 302 heads? I heard that theres a different angle in the early 273's...?

There is a set of 302 heads on moparts that have just been redone they look real nice.

I have this really nice set of 302 casting heads up for grabs. Came from an '88 318. They were just completely redone this past spring to stock specs and everything is new, never been on an engine. No heavy milling, only machined enough to true up on all surfaces. Was going to use them on my teen but have since stumbled into a big block so of course plans have changed. Ready to bolt on and go! Add some compression/power to your 318 or 273.
I'd rather not have to ship these at this time so pick up is encouraged or I could meet you part way or deliver them to your door for a little gas $. Some gas $ is still cheaper than shipping unless I'm traveling over 150 miles. Asking $350 obo. Heads are located in Windsor, Ontario. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll get back to you asap. Leave your phone # and I'll even call you on my dime
biggrin.gif

4763262-302headssmall.jpg

GREAT info, thanks guys. do you think my stock commando 273 4 barrel intake manifold will still bolt onto the 302 heads? I heard that theres a different angle in the early 273's...?
you heard correctly. not worth trying tho IMO. look for the 80's 318-4bbl pkg. TQ intake. DISPITE what you may
have heard.. its a dedicated 318 piece.

The early 273's had the odd intake bolt angle. My 67 barracuda had the newer bolt angle. But the stock single plane intakes flowed really bad and weighed a bunch. You can do better.

My heads are almost finished. I smoothed out the injection port hump on the floor of the exhaust. did a gasket match on the sides and top. Was told matching the flooors would make it lazy for my application.

Did a gasket match on the intakes and need to finish the bowls.

I was porting mine for my 6000lb van with a 360 and an RV cam. I have flat top KB's in there and an Offenhauser dual port intake.

The 273 intake with the different bolt patern was 1 year only, either 64 or 65. and 66 67 Commando intake will work. I have never seen any other 273/318 port intake from the factory, including the later 318 4bbl police package.

I'd like to see a late 80's smallblock factory 4V manifold with 318 sized ports, all the ones I have ever pulled were the same as the 360 with slight port overlap, which doesn't hurt anything. Not saying they don't exist, I'd just like to see proof with a casting number and pictures.
The regular Performer 318/360 has got 318 sized ports, and the offset water neck needed for late model stuff with the Denso A/C compressor.
alan627b

i could be mistaken. this came off a 81, 2, or 3 318 Dodge Truck. We measured the ports, and NO way it was even close to
360 size. cant remember the casting #.. but could have been 4202720(?) dunno. prolly just ALOT of core shift(?).

yeah it would be interesting to find out if that intake would still bolt up with the 302 heads. mine is a 65..

-
Back