302 Swirl Port Heads ?

-
Seems like a long time ago MP had a cast iorn performance upgrade head based of the 302 style swirl port.

Looking in a 1988 MP catalog I found:

P4452748 318 C.I.D PORTED HEAD
Cylinder Head is fully ported and fully assembled. Features 1.88" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves, and oversize pushrod holes. Offers 55 horsepower gain on H.P. 318 engine. Based on '87 production swirl port design.

...so whats the difference with the swirl porting then from say a normal 318 head? combustion chamber different or is it more the head runners?

EDIT:
And no I've never seen them so I'm sort of wondering!

Read the Mopar Performance Engine book. He doesn't go into great deal about it, but Larry Shepard says that they found the early 70s heads were all swirl port heads. That means every one of them, because they are all about the same. I do remember he said they found it quite by accident. I've always thought that's why the small block heads were so good compared to everybody else's factory head. The chevy guys have to step up to a Bow Tie head to get better than a stock 360 head. And the Ford guys never even had anything that good until the GT40 and GT40P castings.

If I remember correctly the swirl port heads had kinda a heart shaped chamber. So I think it had a bit more compression & was amore efficient chamber. Simply put it made power. I would think that with the 1.88 valves they would make a very good performance improvement on a performance 318. If you can find a set. Talking about the MP heads.

Read the book. S'all I can say.

Yep 302 heads have the heart shaped hump between the valves like the 273 heads have, plus the swirl port design, and induction hardening at valve seats.
I hope to get some good 302 heads someday.

You wouldn't have induction hardening after cutting for the 1.60 exhaust valves.

Induction hardening is pantywaste anyway. If you want hardened seats, do it right and have some tungsten carbide seats pressed in.

If I remember correctly the swirl port heads had kinda a heart shaped chamber. So I think it had a bit more compression & was amore efficient chamber. Simply put it made power. I would think that with the 1.88 valves they would make a very good performance improvement on a performance 318. If you can find a set. Talking about the MP heads.

Here's a shot of factory 302's. tmm

Attachments

• 302head.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 557
LOL....I'm sorry, did you just say "performance" and "302 head" in the same sentence????

:D:D:D

-
Back