'308' -casting heads

-

6T9 V-100

Reaction score
Just want some input on the '89-'91 heads that were put on 360's and cop car 318s'. I've got a fresh set of them (fully checked, surfaced, multi-angle valve job, and the HD seals) from my buddy's machine shop for a total investment of $250. I got a '70 vintage 340 shortblock from a friend for free, a new ITB stock 340 cam for $125 (another friend's relative never used it) and a set of brand new alumacoated Flowtechs for $150. Scored an Edelbrock Performer RPM off Craigslist for $85, a low-mileage TQ off a 360 powered 1972 D-250 for $26.50 plus tax at the Pull-A-Part. My plan is to freshen up everything properly, but on a budget. Has anybody utilized these heads and what has been their experience with them? I have heard that hogging them out is actually bad for these and was wondering what mod's work and don't work for them- I am doing my 2-dr "Granny" Valiant and the whole vibe is to make a clean and mostly stock APPEARING '60's cheapy car that is a well-rounded performer/driver

The issue with hogging anything out is the possible cracking of the head. A good machinest/head porter will have it magnifluxed first and carefully port the head.

Though, this is no guarrente (sp) of anything turning out perfect, at least the proper steps are first taken before any real money is dumped into the head.

The 308 has the best ports of any pre magnum head and should do very very well in your build. I'll be honest though, I do not think you'll need them ported in any form.

They have been magnafluxed and found to be crack-free, that was the first order of business with 'em. Having never used them on anything, I was concerned that maybe even at $250 it wasn't worth the money being that-even in relatively stock form/not too modded- a 340 can wind up pretty fast and high into the RPM band. I read an article or two on them (one from MA from about 10-11 years ago) and the jist was to basically gasket match, smooth the transition areas and bowls, and then stop. Oh, the machinist when I was talking to him "These heads have got the largest, beefiest seals I have ever seen on SB heads. My cost on them was $35." Know the guy for years and he has done many jobs for me (last complete he did for me was my Marauder 410 for my '72 F250...tooorquey).

Nicely done on a budget! Only thing I may splurge on is a little bigger cam maybe from Hughes. Just to give it extra punch. You may find a newer Edelbrock 600 carb to be nicer too...but again, if you get the TQ to act right then use it!

I know an old-school, Vietnam vet mechanic in West Seattle...he gets as detailed as putting a sniffer in the exhaust when he tunes a carb. Never had a problem with his "Touch.":cheers:

-
Back