318 2bbl manifold swap with OE cam - worth it?

-
Chryslers actually used Carters which = Edelbrock. So much easier as far as linkage and fuel line. Way easier to tune,much more street friendly. Didnt about 5 people suggest a 600 edel ? :scratch:

Nothing against the Edelbrock carbs, I had one on a 360. It was the 1409, a Q-jet replacement. Ran fine, no complaints. The engine was in a truck with a tractor-like tranny so it hardly saw north of 3K, I have no real basis for performance... probably would work jus fine on a mild 318.

As I understand it, one of the Mancini/Bouchillon/Lokar linkage kits should allow you to use the Holley without issue though.

Basically I'm faced with choosing between finding factory linkage peices and using a Carter/Edelbrock carb or buying an aftermarket linkage 'kit' and using a Holley.

I'm pretty sure I can get a used Holley 600 for like $40 and rebuild kits are cheap.There's three in my area listed on CL right now, all under $60.

Your 318 throttle cable will work fine.

That's with an Edelbrock I presume.

You will need a 4 bbl accel cable bracket. No biggie,either someone here has one,or E-bay. Say $30.00 max.

That's about right, they're available from all the usual outlets.

1/2 your kickdown will allready work ( accel cable bracket to trans),just need the 4 bbl rod from the accel cable bracket to the carb. No biggie maybe $10.00.

What did you get the 4 bbl rod off of? That's the key to the whole thing. If I could find that part, I'd probably go with an Edelbrock for ease of setup like you said!

I'm pretty sure I can get a used Holley 600 for like $40 and rebuild kits are cheap.
(stuff removed for simplicity)
What did you get the 4 bbl rod off of? That's the key to the whole thing. If I could find that part, I'd probably go with an Edelbrock for ease of setup like you said!
I grabbed a Holley 600 on ebay and threw a kit in it for a total investment of $65. As far as the rod goes, I fabricated one from 5/16" bar stock obtained at Home Depot. The bracket for the cable isn't pretty, but it works until I run across the correct piece.

Geez.

This is getting wayyyyy tooooo complicated.

Want me to take a pic of an easy hook up, WO the adaptor? And as far as the edelbrock goes, I had a 318, with a 750 Edelbrock, that ran 11.5's. Carb worked great with a 590/610 lift roller cam, 4K stall combo. I have heard of T-quads in the 10's.

And as far as reliability for years? Not a Holley, for sure.

DOn't worry man. They always run slower than what you expect (at least they do for me). With a decent intake, and some tunning, you could be headed for 15s, which is pretty respectable for a street car. Did it run in the 17s?

"Your killing me Larry" !!!!!

Why not do it the way MaMopar intended it ?

Chryslers actually used Carters which = Edelbrock. So much easier as far as linkage and fuel line. Way easier to tune,much more street friendly. Didnt about 5 people suggest a 600 edel ? :scratch:

Your 318 throttle cable will work fine.

You will need a 4 bbl accel cable bracket. No biggie,either someone here has one,or E-bay. Say $30.00 max.

1/2 your kickdown will allready work ( accel cable bracket to trans),just need the 4 bbl rod from the accel cable bracket to the carb. No biggie maybe $10.00.

And yes the edelbrock chrysler carb adapter......Big $10.00.

Here is a pic of what I am suggesting.
Hey JohnnyDart, That kickdownrod you have with the center mounted spring is still a mystery to me. I looked at @ 50 mopars in junk yard the other day and never saw one! Do you have a sorce for those?
You have a great set up there. You stated the Edlebrock to Chrysler carb adaptor $10.00? Is that the black Isolator under yours? If it is, does it have the 4 holes or 1? Where can you get them for $10? Edlebrocks plate was $43.00 + tax in our area. I did find one that had 2 carbon inserts 1 with 4 holes recomended and 1 with open bore for $25.00.
Pic of my unemployed junk yard solution. (cut extra braket, drilled and bolted on, still not exactly right) I would love to upgrade to your nice set up on linkage!
Please advise on source of nice parts!

67 new linkage 011.jpg

67 new linkage 013.jpg

Hey JohnnyDart, That kickdownrod you have with the center mounted spring is still a mystery to me. I looked at @ 50 mopars in junk yard the other day and never saw one! Do you have a sorce for those?
You have a great set up there. You stated the Edlebrock to Chrysler carb adaptor $10.00? Is that the black Isolator under yours? If it is, does it have the 4 holes or 1? Where can you get them for $10? Edlebrocks plate was $43.00 + tax in our area. I did find one that had 2 carbon inserts 1 with 4 holes recomended and 1 with open bore for $25.00.
Pic of my unemployed junk yard solution. (cut extra braket, drilled and bolted on, still not exactly right) I would love to upgrade to your nice set up on linkage!
Please advise on source of nice parts!

Chrysler throttle lever adapter: Part# EDE 1481......Summit Racing, or anywhere.

Got the carb kickdown rod at a junkyard. Just about any Chrysler with a auto and 4 bbl will have it.

As long as it is a small block bracket.

Do the holes that bolt up to the intake match the holes on the blue bracket ? If so your in....
Nice !!!

To bad you werent in Cali....We would be bolting this thing up right now !!!!

Man, I keep going back and forth on all this swap stuff. One day I'm doing the swap, next day it's not worth it. Then the day after that I'm building a wild 318, the following day I'm building a stock stroke 340 and then by the end of the week I'm on to a 500 hp 340 stroker. Sometimes I even get the wild hair to use the existing 318 for a max-effort build, put most of my money into chassis and convertor upgrades and go racing. Boy, analysis=paralysis! Wish someone paid me to actually do this stuff, I'd be rich.

The 'minimal cost' thing of a basic manifold/carb swap seems to add up pretty quickly when you factor in proper linkage, gaskets, carb rebuild kit, fuel line and filter, air filter and all the little misc. trips to the parts store. Plus, I need to replace the water pump, a leaky valve cover and an exhaust leak.

Then there's the 'if- then, why not' deal where if you're going to replace the water pump then why not put a cam in it while you have it all apart...

Probably shoulda never took the car down the track in the first place.

i feel ur pain, i just got a used performer intake, a used holley carb, felpro gaskets and then everyone was like u may as well do the cam now. but im gonna stick to the orig plan and just do the carb/intake swap. it does add up quick though...what i thought would be a $200 weekend thing has turned into a $400 couple of month thing! and im not even done with it yet!

-
Back