318,340 or 360?

-

m-wellbaum

Reaction score
hey im trying to come up with a plan for a duster as im getting some cash layin around soon not much but enough to get started and im tryin to inspire my dad to help out but i need more info for the engine and trans combination he wants it to stay in the mild performance range and get good milage but he doesnt want a /6 i want good performance(300hp-400hp) at least 13mpg as i will be driving it to school every day ay advice on builds would be awesome i am open to anything id like to keep costs down but will consider more expesive builds for the future thanks

go 360..way easier to find parts for...took me forever to find my 340..and 318 doesn't have as much meat...compared to payin' around the same price for a 318 or 360 ;-)

yep 360...340 for nastalgia..360 if you want to build'r up..318 if you just want a reliable stock engine with that v8 sound.. ;-) not sayin' 318's can't be built up too

I think your Dad posted here. HE he he. Sounds like I read this post before. Seriously.

OK, do a 360. Depending on whats in your wallet to spend, theres a huge difference between 300 & 400 HP.
300 HP can be done with stock parts and headers w/a 340 cam.
400 HP is more likely to be pocket/bowl ported heads or OOTB Edelbrocks and a 280* (advertised) cam and headers.

A 650 carb has enuff CFM.

I like my 340 but the guys are right, the best value is with the 360. It will be the next thing I build.

Chuck

340mopar said:
I like my 340 but the guys are right, the best value is with the 360. It will be the next thing I build.

Chuck

I agree. In this case, 360 is the way to go. It will cost less to go 400HP with the 360 than 400HP with 340 or 318.

ok sounds like 360 is the way to go what kind of price would i get into for a junkyard motor or would i do better to find a car with it already i dont want to spend to much and i want it to get decent milage like at least 10-15 but thats not so important i live in a small town how much would it cost to build to like 350 horsepower and a good bit of torque im not realy sure about what affects drivability and what not in a motor my dad did some offroadin when he was younger he had amc 360 in his jeep with an rv cam but he wasnt much into engine work so im tryin to do the research before we get the project so ill have more of a plan thanks for helpin

Don't know what it's like where you are, but a few years back the pick a part places where I lived let you have any engine they had for $100. You unbolt it & they'd lift it out with a chain on a front loader. Even if it's double that now, it's still not bad for a core. You might be able to find some older R body on it's last legs for cheap too.

If you have a limited budget, find a running (like so you can hear it) 360 engine. Pay more for the engine, and do less to it. Say, a 4bbl intake and carb, plus some cheapie headers, and drop it in. Some of my most fun cars had medium milage good running stock engines in them at first. Bolt ons can carry you a long way later or as money develops. A stock 360, a decent rear, and 3.55s or 3.91s and you'll be hard pressed to keep tires on it. (dont tell Dad...and dont forget to remove the rubber from the wheel wells...It was a dead give-a-way to my father...lol)

Try and find a 360 Magnum motor. WHY?!?! Heres the beauty of the Magnum motor.

Purchase the create motor cam, intake, springs etc....and make the same power since MoPar basicly starts with a stock bottom Magnum engine and add's parts. Oh, by the way, heads are also stock.
These engines are rated @ 380 with multi. mags doing dyno tests on these engines exceeding 400 HP.

Rumblefish, do you know what year the Magnum 360's were built?

ooh magnum sounds nice thanks for the tip on the wells could keep me out of trouble later ive found a gold duster in the classifieds gotta try to go see it its got a slant but that can be fixed

I believe the Magnums started in;
318 Magnum's in '92
360 Magnum's in '93.

I fixed my slant six duster with a '79 318/904 & a 8-1/4, 3.21 gear rear. Theres a swap kit for that. And it worked well.

there's no replacement for dislpacement! you get free power just from the differences in c.i. between 318 and a 360. might take more effort to find a 360 but the price difference is small. parts are generic until pan,crank, or pistons. reuse oil pan, grind crank, and pistons are a little more. everything else would cost the same as a 318. you can go mild with gas milage in mind and still make more h.p. than a modified 318.

Mopar Performance has a 360 short block for around $1200.00.
I have a great article on a build with this block from Car craft mag.Total build using Aeroheads and Summit parts $2308.00.Estimated at 375 horse with no problem.

I did a MP short block and Edelbrock RPM intake and heads w/ a Carter 750 cfm, hooker super comps. Lots-o-fun.

so what kind of cars did the magnums come in these would be fuel injected wouldnt they i must admit im not crazy about the computer for fuel injection it seems complicated

If you buy anything in crate form,take it apart mopar performance is known for poor clearance/assembly work :-|

yes they were fuel injected, but you can buy a manifold and carb for it no problem. I did write another post to this thread but wonder where it went lol.

If you want a Fi Magnum engine, look for a truck. Grab the whole truck is you can right to your driveway for ease of dis assembly and unlimited time on it.
The set up is easy. Just take alot of pictures and take your time.

Yep! After '92, the 318 became a Magnum right? And after '93, the 360 became a Magnum right? So start lookin. :thumbup:

-
Back