318/340 questions please help!!

-
If money is not a huge factor I would bore and stroke the 318 to 390 and change the cylinder heads with 5 axis ported ones from Indy Cylinder Heads. A cam shaft from Lunati and a stroker kit from Muscle Motors, RPM Machine (I have theirs), or 440 Source, ect. and 400 horsepower will be easily achieved as well as a lighter wallet and bank acount. Now you will need to upgrade the stock exhaust manifold with TTI exhaust headers and system (3" x pipe on mine) as well as your brakes.

Why bother??...start with a 360 and get more for less...

I agree with stroked 340. I would start with a 360 if a 340 or a 318 is not available. Hell, why not use a 383 or a 440 for a be all end all.

edit: I know it is a small block and a big block conversion

I have a CUmmins diesel, load em both to 12K and it will out pull a duramax with twice the HP up the same hill........
I ice raced a nitro burning Suzuki 230 quadsport and it would leave the 400EX, and the warriors.......
My dad can also beat your dad up.........

*the first two statements were 100% true* The third it's hard to tell not knowing.

Wildncrazy is right, as the owner of a 390, it runs harder from bottom to topish than a 360, and as a Mopar guy, who has had them all, loaded to the gills, the 390 will make more power, on the street, easier.

And again, like he said,,,,,,,, "Thats a fact".

So, is stroking a 318 in your mind as a possibility?

I have a CUmmins diesel, load em both to 12K and it will out pull a duramax with twice the HP up the same hill........
I ice raced a nitro burning Suzuki 230 quadsport and it would leave the 400EX, and the warriors.......
My dad can also beat your dad up.........

*the first two statements were 100% true* The third it's hard to tell not knowing.

Wildncrazy is right, as the owner of a 390, it runs harder from bottom to topish than a 360, and as a Mopar guy, who has had them all, loaded to the gills, the 390 will make more power, on the street, easier.

And again, like he said,,,,,,,, "Thats a fact".

So, is stroking a 318 in your mind as a possibility?

My dads scary haha

I was giving it a look and I think Ill go with a 349 stroker, there pretty good sounding and you can get up to a streetable 500 ponies but I dont think Id need that many but how knows:snakeman::evil4:

Thanks for all the help guys

Blah blah blah...get that 390 to the track in a 3400 lb street car and put up some 1/4 mile numbers talk is just that talk,i know what a properly built "stock stroke" 360 will run... time slips don't lie...

What are the reasons for your choice? (just wondering)

Well I looked at them, they seem to get a decent amount of power and I dont have to put alot on the top end to get the power i want out of it. I found a kit from RPM Machine (someone mentioned them to me) but for about 1700 bucks i get a 3.580 crank, a set of 6.123 I beam rods, forged dome top piston (yea like a hemi :snakeman:). So I thought it a good choice but if you think going to a 390 would be better then just give me some info about them. But I just figured it keeps me closer to a 340 haha

Sounds good, I have an Eagle crank, cast, stock floating rods, and Ross pistons..... Unlike some, I never see a reason the not use the stock light 318 floater rods until I am spinning up over 6K, and with the 318 being a small bore, the piston is lighter than say, a 4" or 4.04... The 390 will make more power than a 348 stroker, but it is, in the end, what YOU want to do. A 348 will obviously have the ability to rev higher.

My only reason for going 390, would be because of the small bore/valve shrouding, you have more time when the piston is moving, to suck and push. LOL It's your call, do some reasearch, and make your decision. After all, even if you decided to go 273, it is YOUR car, and there is no wrong answers... :)

Blah blah blah...

LOL, gee, thats all we hear from you in this thread, why even bother saying anything more!? It's like, you hear things at night, voices talking, not of this thread. None of us said a 360 won't run. Holy cow man, you got issues!

Let me try this in SIMPLE terms....

MY 390, is in a ONE TON DUALLY WORK TRUCK, therefore, I MIGHT HAVE A LITTLE MORE UNDERSTANDING OF THE POWER DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAY, A 318, 360, AND THE LONGER STROKE 390. Why? Your little mind may ask? Because UNLIKE most of you here, MY 390 is basically in a Brake Dyno.... How? You possibly could wonder? Because UNLIKE most, I measure the torque in the vehicle from how much it SLOWS down, not ACCELERATES...... Really, a better way to understand WHAT makes the torque, where at it makes it, the power band, the torque curve, it like my very own dyno...... THATS WHY, I like the 390, because built the same, it SLOWS DOWN LESS ON THE SAME HILL........ (Thats torque) And torque means FUN.......

But, I don't expect you to understand, because anyone who calls a 318, a boat anchor, has no respectable intelligence when it comes to LA engines to me. (And others here I'm sure.)

Blah blah blah...get that 390 to the track in a 3400 lb street car and put up some 1/4 mile numbers talk is just that talk,i know what a properly built "stock stroke" 360 will run... time slips don't lie...

You never have anything worth reading, just blowhard BS about what lil you have done.
You don't even build your own stuff.
All you talk is time slips, meanwhile a chassis can make or break an et anf have a 400 hp motor quicker et than a 475 hp motor
If you can't figure this one out..it just proves you are just a biased sht stirrer.

You really think your stroked 340 is a pos?
You really think your 360 will destroy your stroker 340?
cause thats what you are basically saying here.

the bore size diff ain't that drastic when offset by 4'' of stroke....

and to the guy that played the wild card 349 bs....are you just looking for a more expensive way to build a smaller bore lower output 360?

I have RPM 416 stroker kit and you will like their product. Tyson, the sales rep, will help you make different decisions without bias if you choose to go with them.

Justin, the wild card BS was the OP, he is thinking of going small bore 3.58 stroke. makes sense to me, I would go all the way, but if it's what he as after, the longer stroke will make more street torque than the 340. Would be neat, eh?

Coming from someone who takes the less travled road, it sounds like a great idea to me.....

(I still believe 80% of the 318 blocks are better than the best 20% of 360 blocks, when it comes to quality, and strength.

IMO

Thanks for the mopar muscle artical, very good reading and actully helps out.

I dont like the idea of a 360 way to many guys out there have them in everthing, I have one in my trucks, I like to be unique.

Thanks you dodgetkboy, It is my choice and I dont see how its BS? I know there are alot of choices out there and Im goin to an engine shop tomorrow to see there thoughts on my choice and to get a price quote on a few thing (Im building the engine) just the boring and square and check it.
Thanks for all your help guys, especially you dodgetkboy

Justin (crazyguy) misread and thought someone was arguing for a 348 over a 390, he didn't mean the motor istelf was BS.

I don't really care for 360's either, but would run one before a 340, but then again, I like smaller bore engines, and thats why.

Good luck, and don't siscount the 390 option yet, it may be near the same price as the 348 option, after you check into it. (then just tell em it's a 318) BWAAAHAAAAHAAAAA

-
Back