318-360 Hedman Header Installations

-

scamp74

Reaction score
Is it still necessary to relocate the oil filter when installing Hedman headers? It's been years since I've read articles addressing this issue.
Thanks.

No it is not necessary. However...

You will either need a shorter oil filter, or a 90* filter adapter (which has the filter turn 90* off the block rather than coming straight off). Either will solve the problem. The stock replacement filter will likely hit. A shorter filter has been on my car for almost two years, daily driven with no issues (Wix/Napa #1068, Bosch 3402). I prefer the shorter filter over the 90* due to, to me, its just another place for a possible leak and the shorter filter will work just fine. However many use both methods, and both methods work.

Just my 2cents.

I use a Fram PH43 or PH16 with regular headers.

Thanks for the shorter filter suggestion. I totally agree with avoiding a potential leak source, especially oil.

If you plan to change it fairly often, like twice a summer, you can aslo thread on a 2.2/2.5 small filter. I ran one for a while on my Swinger. Those you can reach easy, and get your fingers all the way around. But the filter media is less surface area. So you need to make sure you keep it changed. Up in CT, that's no big deal because the cars go away from Nov to March.

-
Back