318 >>>360 in a 75 dart

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
couple of questions.

I found a running 360/727 in a 78 Chrysler C-body.

I have a 75 dart swinger with a non running 318 now so would the 904 in the dart work on the 360? Like are they both external balanced....are they balanced the same?? ( I was thinking to use the 904 in the car so I don't have to fiddle with a new driveshaft)

Also what would be better to use: The existing 318 exhaust manifolds from the 318 or the C-body 360 manifolds from the new Yorker ??

I am pretty sure everything else will be a bolt in affair but I wasn't sure about those things mentioned. If anyone has anything that may be a problem or show stopper.

318 AND 360 are not balanced the same. you can use the 318 converter with the correct 360 balanced flexplate or get a properly balanced converter for the 360/904. The ports size on the 318 manifolds is too small for the 360. The drivers side exhaust manifold from the C body will come very close to if not touch the steering shaft unless the engine mounts are jacked around a bit. I'd check with Treblig for a drivers side manifold.

You may have a bit of trouble with the engine mounting brackets. This is not a biggie to overcome, just a heads up. Check where the C-body oil sump is and that it matches the Dart. These pans are not interchangeable.The 727 is a direct fit, except the driveshaft will need shortening.The 727 convertor will not fit into the 904.If the C-body is a 4bbl, bring along it's throttle cable and throttle bracket that bolts to the intake, and also the link rod from the carb to the bellcrank.This may be needed to fab up a new rod for your 4bbl. No bellcrank?,just bring it all.

Last edited:
78 C body kick down linkage is the one piece rod that won't clear A body firewalls. You still need the early dual bell crank system.

I might be able to get past the driceshaft idea. I was avoiding having to get/ make a new driveshaft but do you guys think the 727 would be a better pick?

Aside from the driveshaft it seems the 727 will bolt right in.

If you want to use the 904 and converter, have the 318 flex plate balanced. I've done this a couple of times. about 50-60 is what I paid a few years ago. Works great! I have one now behind a 360. Or, I think B&M makes a balanced flexplate.

as said in the 1st post...you need the 360 balancer...and use a B&M flexplate with your existing converter...that is all...keep it simple

B&M-10239 is the part number..

why not just reuse the 318 exhaust manifolds? unless this is going to be a performance build, the small amount you lose performance wise isn't worth farting around with manifolds - if you do want the extra performance, get a set of headers on it - why fight with the 360 manifolds - use something that'll bolt in. The 904 should be a good option - just a flex plate to deal with - way easier and cheaper than having a driveshaft reworked. Are you wanting to just get the Dart running again or do you have loftier ideas for the car - what you do is really all about what you want out of the car...

why not just reuse the 318 exhaust manifolds? unless this is going to be a performance build, the small amount you lose performance wise isn't worth farting around with manifolds - if you do want the extra performance, get a set of headers on it - why fight with the 360 manifolds - use something that'll bolt in. The 904 should be a good option - just a flex plate to deal with - way easier and cheaper than having a driveshaft reworked. Are you wanting to just get the Dart running again or do you have loftier ideas for the car - what you do is really all about what you want out of the car...
A running mopar is more fun than a dead mopar that you have to push .....any performance gain over the stock 318 is greatly welcomed.

Only other thing i would like to do down the road, is a manual transmission swap. I have a cast iron 833 OD . But i dont have money for an OD shifter and another 300 for a 360 balanced flywheel ..... so the balanced flexplate for the 904 should work and be more cost effective till the end of the year.

This engine swap is scheduled for July 10th so i am getting ducks in a row from now

Last edited:
you'll still get more with the 360 in there even with the 318 exhaust manifolds and it'll save you time and $$ - you can always go back later and change 'em out. Sounds like you are on the right track - get it running and go from there.

A running mopar is more fun than a dead mopar that you have to push .....any performance gain over the stock 318 is greatly welcomed.
You have a dead 318??? :eek::eek::eek: Rani, that's a very very rare...... could be worth thousands! :realcrazy:
All potential buyers, I'm sure, would soon learn that it was another CL misdiagnosed add :p

-
Back