318 ----> 360

-
I think the 360 can be a real performer! Not so much in stock form. It had low compression,small valves,small cam and was usually choked with smog gear.

Thats all easy to fix. And Id take a 360 over a 318 for the stroke advantage.

I know it has been mentioned that everything can switch over from 273,318,340 to 360.

I've got a question about oil pans. I have looked in Summit and they seem to have different oil pans for the 360 than for the 273,318,340. I realize the 360 stroke is longer but I was under the impression that my 273 oil pan would fit a 360 just as if I had a 318 or 340. Is this right or would I need to buy a different oil pan for the 360? If so will the oil pump pick up tube be different also?

Also while I'm asking questions (LOL) I have a Mopar cam that I pulled out of the 273 not long ago and when I pulled it I made sure to mark each lifter were it went on each lobe. But the question I have is if I use the cam in a 360 can I use the same lifters making sure I put them on each lobe that they were broke in with? Crane cams website mentioned that I could not do that on different blocks but could if I was using the same block. Using a different block would be my case. This seems to tell me that it is important to match them with the lifter holders in block also. I've never heard of that.

I know it has been mentioned that everything can switch over from 273,318,340 to 360.

I've got a question about oil pans. I have looked in Summit and they seem to have different oil pans for the 360 than for the 273,318,340. I realize the 360 stroke is longer but I was under the impression that my 273 oil pan would fit a 360 just as if I had a 318 or 340. Is this right or would I need to buy a different oil pan for the 360? If so will the oil pump pick up tube be different also?

Also while I'm asking questions (LOL) I have a Mopar cam that I pulled out of the 273 not long ago and when I pulled it I made sure to mark each lifter were it went on each lobe. But the question I have is if I use the cam in a 360 can I use the same lifters making sure I put them on each lobe that they were broke in with? Crane cams website mentioned that I could not do that on different blocks but could if I was using the same block. Using a different block would be my case. This seems to tell me that it is important to match them with the lifter holders in block also. I've never heard of that.

The 360 main seals are a different size from the other small blocks.If you try using a 318 pan on a 360 you'll have a massive leak.

I've never heard about the other thing,but maybe someone else does?

The 360 main seals are a different size from the other small blocks.If you try using a 318 pan on a 360 you'll have a massive leak.

I've never heard about the other thing,but maybe someone else does?

Yeah.... I did some research last night and found that both front and rear of 273,318,340 oil pans are 6 5/8". The 360 is 6 5/8" on one end and 5 1/4" on the other.

I bet that guy got his "pig" opinion back in the "old days" when it seemed like 360's and 400 B engines were long stroke, low compression slugs. Built at a time when the factories had questionable assembly procedures and quality control problems. My builder had the opinion that "Chrysler never threw anything away" I.e., factory .020 overbores on new blocks, wildly varying deck heights, core shift....not unique to Mopars, especially in the "smog era".
Every brand has an engine that had "dog" or "Pig" rep, like 351M-400 fords, or 400 Chevy small blocks....
351W's were redheaded stepchilds for quite a while, either you got a good one or you didn't. I think in all these cases, it tooks somebody a while to look at these engines on paper, get a micrometer out, and figure out something like
"Hey, this thing might make some power if the piston wasn't sitting .040 down the hole" or had somebody make a custom piston to fix it. Probably a stock eleminator or bracket racer, or a stock car racer who owned a machine shop, had some time on his hands in the winter, and was looking for an edge.
All these "dog" motors are currently the darlings of engine builders, now that the parts are available. Except maybe 351M-400's, and I'll bet that might have changed, if there are any cores left!
*As to the used cam question, if you made sure to match the lifters with the lobe they had been on, and the pushrods to the original lifter, maybe even the rocker arms....the only other wear point would be the cam bearings in the respective blocks, and I bet they don't wear much....people use used cams sometimes.
I'd be careful BUYING one though......
Sorry for the long winded speech, I'll go to bed now....
Alan627b

-
Back