318 4 bbl and intake upgrade

-

bob7four

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for best intake and 4 bbl carb upgrade for a 1969 Barracuda 318. Not looking for anything radical just want to move from the stock 2 bbl to a 4

Any 4 barrel intake, 340 throttle cable bracket, Carter, Edelbrock carb. A friend called to say how much he liked the AVS 2. TQ or Quadrajet are also great, but you need to find a good one. Cable kickdown if auto trans.

Edelbrock 318/360 Performer intake with a 600 cfm Edelbrock AVS would be a good choice. 65'

If I was going this route with new parts it would be an Edelbrock Performer and 650 AVS. If a Holley is more to your liking, then by all means do so use one.

If you’re not looking to go radical and simply want to move to a stock four barrel use a 360 intake manifold and a 600 carb.

Edelbrock 318/360 Performer intake with a 600 cfm Edelbrock AVS would be a good choice. 65'
You usually can find them used for a good price. That's what I have on my 63 Belvedere 318. Runs very well.
IMG_2858.jpg

If you want to be nostalgic. The old Edelbrock LD4B is a dandy intake. Kind of hard to find and not cheap for a nice one. Weiland makes one that works well with the smaller 318 ports as well. The LD4B works with factory air to if that's needed. I don't know about the Weiand though. Good used 600 Edelbrock carbs can be had for a hundred $$ or so and work well. The electric choke is a nice plus.

Factory 340 intake and Thermoquad.

Just have to remember 318 heads have the small ports so a 360 or 340 intake would be a mismatch on port size, that being said a Eddy performer would be your best bet or a Weiand as one member posted

Weiand Action Plus and 3310 Holley
A 500 cfm is plenty for a stock 318. A 750 is way to big for a 318, the 340 intake manifold would cause port mismatch. The op said that his 318 is stock. Go with a weiand action plus intake manifold and a carb spacer and a edelbrock 500 carb. Also go with a good flowing exhaust system, a 2 1/4" system is fine

A 500 cfm is plenty for a stock 318. A 750 is way to big for a 318, the 340 intake manifold would cause port mismatch. The op said that his 318 is stock. Go with a weiand action plus intake manifold and a carb spacer and a edelbrock 500 carb. Also go with a good flowing exhaust system, a 2 1/4" system is fine
Tell all that to Chrysler. They made millions of 4 barrel 318s right from the factory with the big port intakes and 800 Thermoquads. It didn't concern them at all and those motors ran great.

Tell all that to Chrysler. They made millions of 4 barrel 318s right from the factory with the big port intakes and 800 Thermoquads. It didn't concern them at all and those motors ran great.
yep, but I'm done explain'n it....

yep, but I'm done explain'n it....
I'll never understand why people insist on spreading total misinformation. Chrysler didn't give a **** and shinola about the "port mismatch" and it didn't make a hill of beans difference. But people are gonna choke, puke and regurgitate the same old WRONG bullshit over and over. It's just that. WRONG.

The 318 didn't even come with a 4 barrel carburetor until they offered the roadrunner package on the volare and I don't think that they made millions of those.

The 318 didn't even come with a 4 barrel carburetor until they offered the roadrunner package on the volare and I don't think that they made millions of those.
I should just stop. But I'm not. You're just WRONG. How many police, fire and EMA cars do you think were made with 318 4 barrel engines? Can you say Diplomat?

How about maxi vans ?? 318, Thermoquad with single exhaust in a 6k pound hoogie

I should just stop. But I'm not. You're just WRONG. How many police, fire and EMA cars do you think were made with 318 4 barrel engines? Can you say Diplomat?

Class racers will tell you that is exactly what they used to run very low times. 340 intake and TQ carbs. Used to run them on 273's, great combination.

500 cfm might run 'er well... but .. if a little is good, then more is better, least that's the way I'wuz figure'n.. So I just went aheeed and put 2 of them ther puppies on my 318 just to be sure she didn't run a tad short on my 318.... and bumped 'em up to 600's apiece..... Jeeest to make shore ...
dscn2845-jpg-jpg.jpg

I'll never understand why people insist on spreading total misinformation. Chrysler didn't give a **** and shinola about the "port mismatch" and it didn't make a hill of beans difference. But people are gonna choke, puke and regurgitate the same old WRONG bullshit over and over. It's just that. WRONG.
Port mismatch matters. Port mismatch doesn't matter. Both are blanket statements that have exceptions. Not saying in this case it will matter but in some cases it does.
Chrysler did a lot of things based on the constraints at that time. Such as cost, availability, time, emissions, politics and performance to name a few. That caused a lot of compromises to be made. I don't think that just because Chrysler did it that way means it couldn't be done differently or even better. The OP has lots of options.

I did an intake "swap" test on a 1976 318, 100% factory assembled stock short block. The stock '76 318 heads with a little bowl work. Summit cam (.455 lift). Stock converter and 2.76 gears.
'73 340 Cast vs Weiand Action Plus vs Holley Street Dominator. Here is the order they finished.
  1. 340 cast intake both ET and MPH
  2. Followed very very close by the Action Plus
  3. and a tight 3rd place was the Holley Street Dominator - with the 318 size ports.

-
Back