318/727 to 360/727 eng swap torque converter question

-

mnghouse

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Swapping out the 318 in my 88 Ramcharger and have gotten alot of help here so I thought I would pose the question. I want to use the torque converter that is behind the 318 for the 360. I have done some research and believe a B&M flexplate will allow this. All the posts I have read mention a 318/904 to 360/904 swap. My question is with my RC having a 727 which flexplate will I need? Didn't get much help from the "tech" guy at B&M.

Neil
71' Swinger
88' RamCharger
11' Durango
13' Dart

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the B&M 10236 is,double drilled to accept the 10 or 11 inch converter.

Neil

Question to abodyjoe. i was running a 318 in my 66 Barracuda, slapping in a 360block 408. i will be using the same converter (new TCI 2400) pretty sure it will balancing. How does the Weight set
P4120241 work? have you done this set one up before? what can you tell me? i have the thing ordered, just want to get my head in the game. Thanks

haven't used them in years.. they are for cast crank external balanced motors.. theres a template that shows ya where to weld them on..

i'm not sure you need them for your 408.. sure the 408 isn't internal balanced?

haven't used them in years.. they are for cast crank external balanced motors.. theres a template that shows ya where to weld them on..

i'm not sure you need them for your 408.. sure the 408 isn't internal balanced?
. No it's not internal balanced BluePrint says I need the 360 hb and tc, plus the thing vibrates like crazy.

personally i'd just use the B&M flexplate instead of messing around with welding the weights and all on..

This is Jason, I bought the 318? BOTH the HARMONIC BALANCER in front of the motor witch you saved to put on the 408 is WRONG. It and the torque converter/flex plate/(4 speed flywheel) need to be correctly counter balance to your externally balanced 408..
273, and 318's need neutrally balanced flywheels and harmonic balancers in front and back of the motor where is 360 that is externally balanced needs a special harmonic balancer and flywheel or torque converter or you can do it with the flex plate which is what you need to do in your case. You also need to change the harmonic balancer to one for your 360 not the one that was on your 318 it will not work. And remember you can call or text me with any of these questions if you'd like. Remember I'm local and want to help. Funny- just did 11.529 @ 120.01 mph this last Sunday and I'm pulling the stroker motor to put in your old 318. Funny- just was given an old junky neutrally balanced one the other day to help fiish the 318. I had my stroker internally balanced so I didn't run into these problems. And actually I thought yours was too or I would have said something at the time. Again don't hesitate to text or call me if you need any help.

Question to abodyjoe. i was running a 318 in my 66 Barracuda, slapping in a 360block 408. i will be using the same converter (new TCI 2400) pretty sure it will balancing. How does the Weight set P4120241 work? have you done this set one up before? what can you tell me? i have the thing ordered, just want to get my head in the game. Thanks

thanks Jpar, good to have a Mopar buddy in town. I got a Summit 360 H-balancer coming. And I just now, 5 minutes ago welded on the mopar Torque converter weights. The directions in the kit make you wish you focused a little harder on Story-Problems in junior high math class. Anyways, for everyones benefit that might do this. If your convert does not have the drain plug. Find the offset lug (they are all 7" apart except for one. That one is 7-1/8" and 6-7/8" from the other lugs) Turn the offer lug to the top, a little towards the passenger side. The space exposed will be where you weld the weights. Photo...
IMG_20170513_151413398.jpg

-
Back