318/8 Speed Swap

-
Tripped over a comment on a Challenger forum that some people get over-rev codes with a 3.90 rear gear and an A8 because it can't shift fast enough in the lower gears. Just an FYI, doesn't mean everyone that does that has an issue, but sounds like some do.

The Challenger 245/45R20 is about 28.7" tall so you would be shorter with either tire. So your 2.76 would be like running a 2.83 or 2.97 in a Challenger, depending on which tire.

BTW, the 845RE (A8) V6 Challengers got a 2.62 with the performance option being a 3.08. R/T's and Scat Packs Challengers got a 3.08 or 3.09 depending on if the axle was open or had a limited slip. Hellcat's only come with a 2.62 rear gear, no 3.0x option.
I have a factory 3.91 rear end in my 2021 Ram. 2100 rpm at like 75 mph.

Last edited:
Managed to get my mount system ordered I went all Hooker Blackheart may have to modify where it mounts but this gives me a good solid base and replaces the huge upper cross member hoop.

Bhs572/574/578

IMG20240317193834.jpg

IMG20240317193642.jpg

Once I have the Dart driving down the road I will have a list of parts used and prices. This is a cheaper option the ZF than a brand new TKX or auto from SST this is not cheaper than say a used A833. About the same as four speed used redone. But if you go Brewers which I would have its more for all new or like new. I had like 6 quotes for pricing I felt the ZF gave me the best bang per buck, also as a veteran from my hips are bad. Army PT did me in! A stick would be fun for a short time and painful to use the clutch.

Managed to get my mount system ordered I went all Hooker Blackheart may have to modify where it mounts but this gives me a good solid base and replaces the huge upper cross member hoop.

Bhs572/574/578
I'm eagerly awaiting your progress! Just looked at JVX's website and couldn't find the LA to 8sp adapters. Could you tell me what's the part number on that flex plate and any other details about it specifically?

I called JVX the other day to talk about the conversion kit. The gentleman there said the flexplate comes neutral balance but that they could do any balance that you wanted (ie. LA 360 or Magnum 360) for an additional $80. I forgot to ask about the converter snout adapter, I think there are two diameters for the hemi 8HP converters.

I need to start thinking about a drive shaft plan. CV joint style 2020 Challenger RT style then needs a slip yoke, then will need a standard 1310 U joint on a 8 1/4 rear end. I ordered my shifter today not cheap the Challenger 8HP shifter and the knob itself 550 from Sound German Automotive. I may go to Tulsa as I'm told that Driveshaft inc does excellent work. If I get that I will have in theory all I need to complete the swap. In about tapped out on spending money I will be pissed if I hate this lol!

So far 1500 transmission 26000 miles 8Hp70 from 2020 Scatpack 6.4 car
Controller with harness 1000
Shifter 550
Adapters mount so on 500
Steel for frame connectors 100 dollars
And counting still think I may have saved more money than I realized doing work myself and all in.

I need to start thinking about a drive shaft plan. CV joint style 2020 Challenger RT style then needs a slip yoke, then will need a standard 1310 U joint on a 8 1/4 rear end. I ordered my shifter today not cheap the Challenger 8HP shifter and the knob itself 550 from Sound German Automotive. I may go to Tulsa as I'm told that Driveshaft inc does excellent work. If I get that I will have in theory all I need to complete the swap. In about tapped out on spending money I will be pissed if I hate this lol!

So far 1500 transmission 26000 miles 8Hp70 from 2020 Scatpack 6.4 car
Controller with harness 1000
Shifter 550
Adapters mount so on 500
Steel for frame connectors 100 dollars
And counting still think I may have saved more money than I realized doing work myself and all in.
Driveshaft in my A100 with a Hemi/8HP70 swap

Screenshot_20240322-124821_Gallery.jpg

-
Back