318 + 904 question

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a built 904 and torque converter for my Dart. The guy I bought it from told me that he had the setup mated to a 360. He also told me that he had the converter balanced so it would work with the 360.

Here's the question: can I bolt this converter and transmission up to my 318?

Thanks in advance for any help...

check the front of the converter for weights welded on to the front face of the converter...those would be for the externally balanced 360...you do not want those on a 318 that is internally balanced....other wise it will fit just fine

Attachments

• !B,9cwlwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV48!BKt)Rh!L6!~~_35.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 581
Yup.. it has weights welded to it, and those things were welded on with authority. What's the impact of going with the setup as is? Am I risking some damage (or worse)?

impact is a bad vibration in the drivetrain...and you will removing the trans/converter again...

get grinder and cut the welds....

Under no circumstances do you want to run it with the weights. Not only will it vibrate bad, it'll eventually wipe the engine out. May even take the front pump out in the trans. Do you have a pneumatic cut off tool? If so you can use it to carefully cut around the edges to get the weights off then use a hand grinder to smooth it down. You could do the whole thing with a hand grinder but I've found it easier to do it like I described.

This is the kind stuff I love to read here. Knowledge is a wonderful thing
when shared. Cheers.

Question: I have a 1974 318 w/auto out of a dodge dart that I am planning to transplant to my '65 'cuda that has a 273/904. Read somewhere, but cant find the particulars on torque converter to crank mating. IIRC, there was mention of a "bushing" that was instrumental in this swap. I would appreciated if someone can clarify for me.

What an enormous wonderful knowledge base here. Thanks to all!!

eestatic,
Early 273's had a smaller snout on the converter which requires a bushing to make it fit in a later model small block. Someone should have a source.

There may be another issue as well. I "THINK" that the spline counts are different between older and newer 904's as well so the 273 converter can't be swapped into a newer trans.

Can you retain the 318 trans & converter or is it a 727?

Hey, thanks for quick reply, Locomotion!! My cadaver car w/318 has a 904 LA in it. (Just verified by noticing stamping on bellhousing) Also has numbers on driver side of trans. = 3410542-2 if that is of any significance. At quick glance it appears there are differences between the two transmissions..dunno if major event to make it work..

Is there a search feature on this site for such an inquiry (bushing)? [newbie here]

Thanks again!

Hey, thanks for quick reply, Locomotion!! My cadaver car w/318 has a 904 LA in it. (Just verified by noticing stamping on bellhousing) Also has numbers on driver side of trans. = 3410542-2 if that is of any significance. At quick glance it appears there are differences between the two transmissions..dunno if major event to make it work..

Is there a search feature on this site for such an inquiry (bushing)? [newbie here]

Thanks again!

If you are using the entire donor set up there will be no mating problems.

Here you go. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/search.php?

Actually, attempting to minimize the complexities oxymoranically speaking, my preference would be to stay w/same transmission to avoid linkage/other unforeseens at this point with regard to swapping tranny...are they compatible simplistically speaking?

BTW, thanks for the search link.!

I read from a poster, where.."68 318 and a 66 904 the snout of the torque converter is smaller than the register in the back of the crank. The solution is to have a bushing/spacer machined to properly align the two, spacer was 1.55" ID 1.81" OD and a half inch long..."

And another poster.."You also need the register adapter ring to adapt the 67 converter to your newer crankshaft..."

Are they talking about the same thing? Other than machining, is there some entity that sells these bushings/register adapter rings?

Thanks..

I read from a poster, where.."68 318 and a 66 904 the snout of the torque converter is smaller than the register in the back of the crank. The solution is to have a bushing/spacer machined to properly align the two, spacer was 1.55" ID 1.81" OD and a half inch long..."

And another poster.."You also need the register adapter ring to adapt the 67 converter to your newer crankshaft..."

Are they talking about the same thing? Other than machining, is there some entity that sells these bushings/register adapter rings?

Thanks..

Yes they are talking about the same thing and you can't machine down the larger converter snout because it's too thin. 64's link below shows the only ones I know of at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that these folks can help you out:

http://stores.ebay.com/TFlite-Pattys-Shop-Mart

ATB

BC

You can always go to Hughes transmissions online and buy a custom torque converter. They're knowledgable and will know exactly what you need. I think my custom torque converter was $300. Don't know if its out of the price range but its always an option you could look into.

Www.hughesperformance.com

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a built 904 and torque converter for my Dart. The guy I bought it from told me that he had the setup mated to a 360. He also told me that he had the converter balanced so it would work with the 360.

Here's the question: can I bolt this converter and transmission up to my 318?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Yes, 318, 340, 360 are the same block and bolt pattern. The 383, 400, 440's have a different bolt pattern. Good Luck.

Yes, 318, 340, 360 are the same block and bolt pattern. The 383, 400, 440's have a different bolt pattern. Good Luck.

Also on this when you install the TC with the trans if it does virbrate very badly then the weight on that TC need to come off. It can be done while the trans is in the car, just leave the front cover of the trans off for easy access.

-
Back