318 and which cam?

-
Looks good! I love the look of a fresh set of heads for some reason, lol. Did you end up getting them from the online place or no?

I'm picking up mine from the shop today, really antsy to put them to use!

Same here! I did end up getting my #302's from clearwater cylinder head. I found their heads best bang for the buck. For $180 they magnaflux the heads, do the surfacing, 3-angle valve job, new valves, springs, seats and all guides replaced. Only downfall is they don't like to do any custom work. What they hand over has a 2 year warranty but is a stock deal. Since I live in Orlando I drove over to pick up the heads which saved me $40 in shipping!

so, are these the stock valve springs for those heads, did you settle on a cam, does everything else bolt right on to these and any guess how much this should raise to CR ?

thanks

The heads I picked up are pretty much stock. Summit was sold out of their .454 cam so I went with the Crane XE262. No idea how much the CR will improve but from what I've been reading on this forum it should be around .1 so I'm guessing if I was at around 8:1 I'll now be around 9:1. Kind of hard to give you facts being it I never had the stock heads tested for CR.

Dropped the heads off with my buddy Chris at Maximum Machine Works. He's going to port match the heads on both exhaust and intake sides and will also match the intake itself. He mentioned doing some bowl work and making sure the valve seats were nice and smooth.. Can't wait to get it all back and on the car! :glasses7:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 235
  • photo copy.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 228
Port matching is coming along nicely..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 2.21.37 PM.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 214
Back cutting the valves for better flow.. before and after.. thanks Chris! :prayer:

Attachments

• 2012-12-209514.55.39.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 2012-12-209515.22.18.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 177
Here's a better pic of the port matching.. before and after

Attachments

• 2012-12-199514.02.59.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 2012-12-199514.03.13.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 195
That area in the dogleg doesnt do much opened up. But those valves look much better! Those 302 heads flow very good for what they were on. You can hit that water jacket casting bump right at the opening to almost flat with the roof, try and make that area as smooth as possible as the gas rides up and out on that surface.

The build is coming along nicely. Question for you motor heads; what cam break-in procedure is suggested? Over the years I've heard a few but still not sure what the proper way to break a cam in is. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00838.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 148
Now that I've had the XE262 in I'm considering going bigger. Are there any cams step above the XE262 that would work well with my heads and bottom end/ stall converter? Any opinions are welcomed:cheers:

That cam should be good for atleast 6,000, I would work on tuning and gears if you want more power

The eddy carb is holding it back but it can be made better or slap on a holley 750 DP and I guess we help you tune it, lol

That cam should be good for atleast 6,000, I would work on tuning and gears if you want more power

The eddy carb is holding it back but it can be made better or slap on a holley 750 DP and I guess we help you tune it, lol

Main reason why I'm considering swapping out cam is cause i have to tear it down again and while I'm in there I was considering the Comp XE268 477/480.

No doubt I'll need better gears down the road and yes I appreciate all your help with the tuning

-
Back