318 block decking

-

coyote42

Reaction score
I want to have my '91 318 block deck trued up. Curious as to how much can be taken off before there is cyl head and intake angle concerns. Using the factory pistons and rods. Had .015 already taken off the home ported 302 heads. Its a street engine, maybe a little compression bump too.

I like to deck the block to make it true and square. If you need that much more or less compression, look into different gaskets or pistons so you keep the interchangeability of intakes/push rods...

From Direct Connection Engine book: for every .010 off the chamber face of the head, or deck of the block, mill .0095 off the intake face. For each .010 off the deck of the block, .0144 is milled off the front and rear rails of the block.

You MAY be able to bypass the milling of the front and rear rails of the block.......DC gave this spec I beleave, so you could continue to use those stupid fat gaskets on the end rails, and don't bottom out your intake on the block before sealing up tight to the heads.......RTV on it's own works pretty good there. Trial assembly will tell the story....heads on with head gasket of choice, just snug, same with intake on with gaskets of choice, NO RTV in there yet, check gap of end rails with feeler gauge. I'd say if you've got more than .010 clearance between block and intake on the end rails, just bolt it together and let'er rip!!

Good luck!!

If you go with the standard Felpro head gaskets, then that .015" cut will almost make up for the extra gasket thickness over the stock head gaskets. In other words, you'll be ending up close to the same place as you started. So, taking off some more, like another .015-.020", would actually start raising CR. It will only be a couple of tenths of a point.

-
Back