318 Bogging at 55mph

-

Brian

Reaction score
I have a 72' 318, mostly stock except for Edelbrock performer intake, Edelbrock 600cfm carb, Summit Headers, Pertronics coil and Pertronics electronic ignition.

The problem is that every time I get it up to 55 mph it bogs, looses all power but does not die. I slow down and it continues to sputter, etc. Only after stopping the car will it drive fine again while under 55 mph. It seems as though this all started after the Pertronics coil and electronic ignition was installed.

I have read a lot of the timing Q&A on this site, all of which are very helpful and confusing at the same time (I think I still need help with the timing). Adjusting the timing only changed the bogging from 55mph to 45mph. I installed a new fuel filter, plugs, wires and Carter mechanical fuel pump and am getting 4-5 psi to the carb with that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you changed the pick up filter in the tank? If its not been changed its likely restricting fuel flow.

I have not changed the pick up filter. I don't know if it has ever been changed. Sounds like I will have to drop the tank to do this. I may do this next weekend, unless I get any other suggestions.

I've seen a filter right off the tank sender so check for that.
I've also seen split in the sender hose causing it to suck air though you'd probably have some fuel leakage. Ignition sounds like .
Under extreme!!! richness the car will be speed/rpm limited.
Did you follow the instructions with the coil?

The coil instructions said to remove the resistor. I did that but it wouldnt run. When I reconnected it, it started and ran good. The instructions for the elecronic ignition said to keep the resistor. So, it is connected now. Do you think this might be the problem?

What happens if you drive it in first gear ?
It should do the same thing driving it in first gear just a block or two.
if it is a fuel problem.
Make sure your headers are not getting your fuel line hot and vapor locking.

A plugged up muffler will keep it down like a bad cat converter.
I am sure a tec will chime in here and get you going.
Just my 2 cents worth. A friend of mine had the same problem on a chebby and his cat converter was glowing red and he was wondering why he could not get his car over 50 mph.:-D

Leave the the ballast for now and disconnect the coil + & tape it up, run a new wire straight from the battery to the + side of the coil. Are you using a pertronics ballast or factory 4 prong/ 2 prong?

I have not changed the pick up filter. I don't know if it has ever been changed. Sounds like I will have to drop the tank to do this. I may do this next weekend, unless I get any other suggestions.

If its an a-body you won't have to drop the tank. Just run it down under 1/8 tank and you should be able to get the sender unit out without having gas pouring out of the opening.

The resistor is a factory 2 prong.

-
Back