318 Boosted

-

Dirty_Demon

Reaction score
I have a thread under suspension with some various questions and was intending on using a 5.7 hemi in my 72 demon that I just purchased. Lately i am second guessing the use of the 5.7 hemi for a variety of reasons. I also have in my possession a 400 block and a 318 magnum out of a dakota.

I realize i can use any of the three but it's a matter of choosing the right one. I have the 400 because i've built a nice one for one of my offroad rigs that pulled like a monster and took a beating. I have the 5.2 because I pulled it from a Dakota I needed for parts. The 5.7 hemi I bought from a wrecked cop car. The intent was to put it into a buggy chassis I was building.

I got out of "wheelin" and decided to dive into the car scene which is why i purchased my demon. I always like the demons since I was a kid. REALLY liked the General Lee but aint got the coin for that.

So now I need to decide on an engine. pros and cons for all three but I really like the idea of using that 5.2 and making it nasty with a turbo.

5.2 is light and with a Hughes Engines fuel rails, intake, throttle body and some aluminum heads I could use a megasquirt III system ( which I have and was going to use on the 5.7 hemi ). I like the compact size of the 5.2, I like that fact that it really is an overlooked engine, and I like the fact that I can machine the block, use stock stroke so it will REV like a bumble bee, use a LA forged crank and get some forged pistons to have a bullet proof bottom end. I would use a girdle and studs for the mains and the heads.

My questions for you turbo guys are as follows:

1. I KNOW megasquirt III will control a boost controller as well as handle the fuel mapping. That's why I Bought it.. i intended to boost my 5.7 hemi. What I DON'T know is how to control the timing. The 5.2 has a dizzy. With the 5.7 I could set it to control the timing and retard if according to boost levels. How would I control the timing on the 5.2 ? I intend to drive it around with 6 to 10 lbs of boost but then when i want to run it at Brainard or "play" I want to be able to kick it up to 15 lbs or more.

2. How much boost will a 5.2 block handle running 8 to 1 compression based on the bottom end I described above.

I appreciate any and all help you can give me. I need to make up my mind on my motor choice so I can commit and start acquiring parts.

thanks again

I think the 5.7 has so much more potential than either iron motors. in stock 100,000 mile warranty form a 5.7 has more HP than a warm teen. 400 is a long stroke big block and has all the maers of one, big torque, pretty good HP if you get the compression up and is the base of a bad *** 451 stroker with a 440 crank and KB pistons. But the heads are still old school, not a cross flow hemi design that can run some compression. IF I had a 5.7, I would not be looking back on LA's or B's. MSnS can control timing, just lock out dizzy and program a curve or 36-1 wheel it and run EDIS-8 or COP.

Thanks Pishta.

I have the 5.7 Hemi.. sitting on a stand in my garage. I may have forgot to mention that my Hemi has a chunked up piston on the passenger side and that lead to a destroyed head. I have a spare head ( sitting here in my office actually ) but the hemi needs to be rebuilt. Rebuilding this engine is significantly more expensive than building either of the other two. I understand the technology and the potential of the 5.7 but I also understand that fitting it into my demon is a *****. It's been done. Many times. I googled 5.7 hemi swap and found TONS of a body cars with a 5.7. I also saw what they had to sacrifice to do it. Power steering has to be removed unless I purchase AlterK system. Power brakes are iffy and working on it will be a b!%#% to say the least because there is no room. Numbers wise if I drop the 3K into JUST the bottom end it's a 345 hp motor at the crank. Maybe a cam, headers ( pretty much only one choice of headers ) I can get it at 400 or a little more at the crank.

For the 5.2 I have more room to work with. It costs a LOT less to build that 5.2 with a bullet proof bottom end and add a turbo. Dollar for dollar a turbo 5.2 will put out more HP than that 5.7 and be more "fun". Not to mention I can have my power steering and power brakes.

Your answer to my biggest concern ( timing control ) is music to my ears so thanks for that. It makes this more of a possibility.

I don't think an actual number exists, but if you were to count the number of a bodies with turbo 318 setups and the number of 5.7 hemi setups in a bodies I am pretty sure the 5.7 setups greatly outnumber the 318 setups. With limited setup options I can't truly be different but the 318 turbo might be the least used.

I have a friend with a ramcharger that wheels with a stock early 91 318. That truck weights a million lbs with the 1 ton axles and 42 inch tires. It's a freakin PIG .. With that said his little stock 318 revs like a blender and just will NOT quit on him. he even managed to flatten a cam and concave 4 lifters. Swapped out the cam, lifter and changed the oil and it runs like a blender again. Just can't kill that motor.

turbocharging changes the whole picture. Turbo that teen! YOU will have a motor that fits (way important) and your acc. can be run but will have power that will eclipse the 5.7 (that needs major work as its found out) My vote is for the turbo teen hands down with MSnS and an intercooler/methanol injection if you plan 15psi boost. Just remember to get 8 "turbo 4 banger" injectors, The stock 18lb Magnum injectors will run out of volume fast turbocharging, and a lean turbo motor is about a 6 second stop watch.

My fault Pishta.. I may have neglected to mention that if I used that teen it was going to get force fed. I wouldn't use it otherwise. Cool indestructible motors but in stock form they belong on family haulers.

I appreciate your quick responses and feedback Pishta. The timing thing was my biggest hang up. I either forgot or didn't think about locking out the dizzy and letting the ms run the timing. Problem solved.

Know anyone that wants a 2006 5.7 complete ? I even have the spare head and a new alternator and new power steering pump still in boxes for it. It's the cop car version so it has the oil cooler on it. I also have the Dodge 5.7 hemi engine cover. Nobody ever sells them with the cover. I'll take $600 for it all.

I have a turbo 318 mag in my duster and the turbo and plumbing sits where the alternator goes so I put the alternator on the driver side. Not sure what exhaust manifolds you'd use but flipping mag manifolds won't work with power steering box. I swapped over to manual steering.

My fault Pishta.. I may have neglected to mention that if I used that teen it was going to get force fed. I wouldn't use it otherwise. Cool indestructible motors but in stock form they belong on family haulers.

I appreciate your quick responses and feedback Pishta. The timing thing was my biggest hang up. I either forgot or didn't think about locking out the dizzy and letting the ms run the timing. Problem solved.

Know anyone that wants a 2006 5.7 complete ? I even have the spare head and a new alternator and new power steering pump still in boxes for it. It's the cop car version so it has the oil cooler on it. I also have the Dodge 5.7 hemi engine cover. Nobody ever sells them with the cover. I'll take $600 for it all.

Where in Mn you located?

I am in North Branch MN .. right off 35 about 40 minutes north of the cities.

Hey T56MaxTorq, thanks for the info. Do you have pics of that setup in your duster? I would like to see how you did it. I have to go a slightly different route because I want power steering.

I borrowed a friends truck Sunday and drove to Iowa and picked up my Demon. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition. The body lines were all straight, the driver floor rotted out from water, bottom of rear quarters are toast and a few other small things but nothing that makes you say "oh ****" . The previous owner installed a console mount slap shifter and actually had the console in the trunk. Shitty weld job when he welded it to the tunnel. I will be bringing a trailer load of parts down to the Mopars in the Park show in May.

The 5.2 magnum is sitting in a buddy's garage. I'll have that home this week. My 5.7 Hemi is being picked up/bought on Friday to open up my engine stand.

I am 100% going to build the 5.2 turbo. Here is the plan. ANY help or feedback will be of help.

5.2 Magnum from a 98 Dakota with 220,000 miles on it. Ran when I pulled it.
Megasquirt III for handling the fuel and spark ( Thanks Pishta for the info on the timing control )
Hughes Intake and plenum
Hughes Fuel Rails
Bigger Injectors ( not sure what size yet )
Single turbo ( not sure what size I need yet )
stock crank BUT sent to competitiveedgecoatings.com to get coated
new bearings and pistons also coated by competitive edge
recondition rods
haven't decided on heads. Most likely Edelbrocks or iron ram from hughes

I will bend up and weld my own tubing for the turbo then send it to competitive edge to be ceramic coated alone with the manifolds/headers and the intake.

For the K member I am looking at either HemiDenny or QA1 ( they are local to me ) Hemi Denny has been a wealth of knowledge and been getting back to me with answers very quickly with any and all questions I have had.

rear suspension undecided..

I am putting up a website for the build so I can easily just add unlimited images with larger size and just make posts on the site with reference to the link.

Here is how I did my 318 with a 62-1 T4 turbo, also going megasquirt but with manual steering. 2.5" stainless hot side with 3" downpipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 411
I bought a set of headers, the drivers side fits with only manual steering. I completely transformed the passenger side and welded it back together. If you dont mind manual steering, you use magnum truck manifolds and they work just as nice.

Have you seen this guy? look like he just extended headers out and ran them upside down.. looks good. Pretty easy to extend out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Im using 44lb injectors, with a MS2 setup. I had wanted to use bigger injectors in case I wanted to run E85 in the future. I used a 750 Aeromotive pump and a trunk mounted fuel cell.

-
Back