318 bored approx to 340..... CL

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a 318 block be bored out that far (0.130") safely? I assume a 340 block was a different casting with proper thickness cyl walls.

Can a 318 block be bored out that far (0.130") safely? I assume a 340 block was a different casting with proper thickness cyl walls.
in some instances it's been done. Not a common practice for sure. I just thought it was funny that the advertisement said "approximately".... LOL...

That's like saying a 318 is "approximately" the same as a 340:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...NOT!!

I'm talking performance wise stock to stock no 318 would ever touch a 340...
stock to stock... captain obvious… LOL.

Let's put the 318 2bbl carb, intake, heads, cam, exhaust manifolds, single exhaust, and 2.76 gears on the 340. Then lets put the 340 carb, intake, heads, cam, exhaust manifolds with duals and 3.23 gears on the 318. Now lets race.

Let's put the 318 2bbl carb, intake, heads, cam, exhaust manifolds, single exhaust, and 2.76 gears on the 340. Then lets put the 340 carb, intake, heads, cam, exhaust manifolds with duals and 3.23 gears on the 318. Now lets race.

Even modified NEVER had a "boat anchor" 318 even come close but keep hoping..

I'm talking performance wise stock to stock no 318 would ever touch a 340...

A slant six would smoke yours because it would be sittin on the side of the road blown up because you forgot to put a hardened intermediate shaft in it.

I did something like that,in about 1974.
A friend and I bought a junkyard 340 together; He got the 340 stuff to put on/in his 318, and I got the 340 shortblock and 318 leftovers for doing the work.
Oh wait; not quite same. The 340 2bbl had fenderwell headers,duals, and probably 3.23s. Not fair tho, the 340 was in a 65 Valiant wagon while 318 was in a 69 Satellite; which mustof had 400 or better pounds on me. Can't recall what gears were in the Sat.
We never raced cuz it was clear my SW wouldda whomped him. His 318 didn't wake up until waaay on down the road, while my cobbled-together junkyard 340 had mega-torque right from idle.
I'd like to build another combo like that,just for kicks; but I doubt today's gas would support the cylinder pressure that engine mustabin making. Hey, I turned 21 that summer, and altho I had been wrenching since 15, I really didn't know half of what I thought I did. But I had a torque wrench,the first tool I ever bought with my own money, so I was everybody's friend.

A slant six would smoke yours because it would be sittin on the side of the road blown up because you forgot to put a hardened intermediate shaft in it.
or he could have forgotten to tighten up the two bolts on the thermostat housing...
20150920_165020.jpg

This picture was too much of a classic not to save....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back