318 build questions......

-

70-duster

Reaction score
I have a 74 318 out of a dart. It has 36,000 original miles on it. I am taking my 318 out of my 70 duster and replacing it with this 74. However, while it is out of the car, I would like to put a hotter cam, 4 barrel intake and carb on it. I actually have a 650 Barry Grant Demon that I would like to use. My question is, what cam and intake should I go with? The engine is completely stock otherwise and this car will be driven by my girlfriend to loacl shows and cruises. Any help would be a ppreciated. I'm a bodyman not a mechanic.

A few years ago we did the same for my neighbor's girlfriend.
The build was a basic ring ,bearing, valve job on the 318 heads.
We went with the Edelbrock package consisting of 600 Carb,Performer Intake,the 420/420 lift cam kit and their matching valvesprings.
All this went into a Volare' Station Wagon. Other Items were Summit Headers, Full 2 1/2 exhaust with Summit Turbo Mufflers. and 3.73 rear gears.We spent under $1000 bucks for the new parts and other items to do the job.In full street trim leaving it in drive and Barb driving for the first time ever on a dragstrip she clicked off low 15.40's out of the box.( altitude above 6000 feet that day )
Not too bad for a smogger 318 in a Wagon.He later changed the carb to a 625 Demon and got it into the high 14's. Fun car that would do smokey burn outs when you nailed it.:burnout:

I would like to put a hotter cam, 4 barrel intake and carb on it. I actually have a 650 Barry Grant Demon that I would like to use. My question is, what cam and intake should I go with? The engine is completely stock otherwise and this car will be driven by my girlfriend to local shows and cruises.

First, before I recommend a cam, tell me (us) the following, if you can;

What is the gear ratio?
Tire size
Are you just looking for a "Sound" with the car?

I'll take a leap here and suggest A Comp XE 262 Hyd. cam for use with stock Hwy. gears and tires. It will not need a torque converter change or rear gear change.

The Edelbrock Performer is an excellent choice for the 318. It will flow as well as a stock 340 intake without a mis match port issue.

The Barry Grant is a little big for what you want. If you compare it apples to apples to the regular carbs you're familiar with, it's actually closer to 770cfm. You'd do yourself a favor to sell it, or just buy something smaller. in the intake and carb... I like the Performer 318 andd Edelbrock 650 combo on a mild setup, and the cam the XE262 is perfect so I'd second that one.

Sounds like some great ideas. The only reason I said the Barry Grant is cause I bought it for my 440 in my challenger and started thinking it was too small for that motor. Maybe I'll try it on the 440 and see what happens. As far as the duster, it will have a stock rearend with highway gears in it. I have an 8 3/4 out of a b-body that I am going to put in it.

73 Swinger-318(.030),360 heads(587 castings),.464 lift/292 duration "blue racer" cam,Edelbrock 650 carb and Performer,8 1/4 3.55,904w/shift kit,2400 stall,14" tires, 13.64 @102mph,great combo! Go for it!

-
Back