318 build using 302 heads

-
I'm no engine builder or machinist, but I have NEVER seen or heard 2.02 in 302's in any thread here??

Don't have to be an engine builder or a machinist......it's a matter of imagining the possibilities.....remember not alot of people think a "teener" is worth the time and trouble to build, they would rather step over a "teener" for a 360 or the Holy Grail a 340, OR if some one is contemplating a "teener" build they get badgered to go the 360 route "just because". IMOP a "teener" is a great little engine; I took on a 427 Camaro with one just because I could; they are worthy what ever time and effort some one wants to put into one. Just because you've never heard of some one putting 2.02's into a set of 302 heads doesn't mean it hasn't happened, not every one in the world comes here for their daily dose of Mopar

Sorry it takes me so long to respond, I just got this damn phone, trying to figure it out, I’m an old fella (53). I just put up two pictures of 302 heads, one is a stock valve and the other is the 2.02. I have a couple of sets on the shelf.
There is quite a difference, the same shop that did these Heads also did the heads in my 70’ 340 four speed dart. They are very familiar with these heads and valve sizes.
I have heard a lot of good and some bad things about these heads, so I decided to give em a good honest test. That is why I ask all of you, to see what the majority would say. My son and I appreciate all the input that we have gotten. We are going to install this in my 89’ Shelby Dakota,
0F2C65A6-3199-4820-91FC-9A691258E7F9.jpeg
B2A794DF-C043-44A0-905A-A82948C04EF2.png
I bought it without an engine, so we decided to put this in it and see how it runs. Any input we get is greatly appreciated, someone else’s experience is priceless. Thanks again

Sorry it takes me so long to respond, I just got this damn phone, trying to figure it out, I’m an old fella (53). I just put up two pictures of 302 heads, one is a stock valve and the other is the 2.02. I have a couple of sets on the shelf.
There is quite a difference, the same shop that did these Heads also did the heads in my 70’ 340 four speed dart. They are very familiar with these heads and valve sizes.
I have heard a lot of good and some bad things about these heads, so I decided to give em a good honest test. That is why I ask all of you, to see what the majority would say. My son and I appreciate all the input that we have gotten. We are going to install this in my 89’ Shelby Dakota, View attachment 1715608823 View attachment 1715608824 I bought it without an engine, so we decided to put this in it and see how it runs. Any input we get is greatly appreciated, someone else’s experience is priceless. Thanks again

I gotta tell you bud, those look like 1.88s. There would be less room in between the valves if they were 2.02s. Also look back in the thread where one poster put a 2.02 valve in a guide on a 302. There's a good bit of cutting to enlarge the valve seat that needs to be done that very obviously has not been done on yours. Get a dial caliper and measure. I bet you find they are 1.88s.

to put in 2.02s the chamber needs to be opened up to fit them! 1.88s or the 1.92?s from a magnum would be a better choice but the 1.92s would need new magnum size guides but weight less. the 302s just dont have enuff port to support a 2.02 and ant enuff meat to port them big nuff to ether...still a great small cube mild motor head!

Morning everyone, I will put a caliper on them tomorrow, if it is a 1.88, I will ask my buddy why he didn’t put the 2.02’s in the heads. We trade a lot of labor, I do paint and body work, he runs a machine shop. He is way more knowledgeable about that area then I am, I will let y’all know what he tells me.
Thanks again to everyone

I'm bettin those ain't 2.02s.

Morning everyone, I will put a caliper on them tomorrow, if it is a 1.88, I will ask my buddy why he didn’t put the 2.02’s in the heads. We trade a lot of labor, I do paint and body work, he runs a machine shop. He is way more knowledgeable about that area then I am, I will let y’all know what he tells me.
Thanks again to everyone
Could it be we are used to seeing 2.02's with 1.60's ? Less gap, but he could have 2.02's with 1.50's. Won't know till he measures.....

Thing is...on these heads, the 2.02's aren't gonna gain one blessed thing over 1.88's. They don't do a heckuva lot on 340/360 heads unless you zing it over 5 or 6K rpm's regularly. @318willrun ...does your socket and screwdriver method of porting work on the 302 heads like it does the earlier 318 heads? Asking for a friend! :D

Thing is...on these heads, the 2.02's aren't gonna gain one blessed thing over 1.88's. They don't do a heckuva lot on 340/360 heads unless you zing it over 5 or 6K rpm's regularly. @318willrun ...does your socket and screwdriver method of porting work on the 302 heads like it does the earlier 318 heads? Asking for a friend! :D
Home porting works on 302 heads. Most any head can be home ported, but a person has to understand the design of the port and work accordingly

Could it be we are used to seeing 2.02's with 1.60's ? Less gap, but he could have 2.02's with 1.50's. Won't know till he measures.....
Post #1 OP states 2.02 & 1.60
Hello, I am building a 90' 318 to go into a Dakota. It is a stock new short block. I have a set of stock 714 heads, and a built set of 302, the 302's have been completely worked. including, 2.02, 160 valves, ported and polished, and new spring for a Comp Cams CL-20-212-2. This is just a mild cam.
My question is will the 302 heads work with this stock short block. It will have an Eddy performer and 650cfm carb. Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

It's possible, but I am also going buy the amount of chamber that has to be machined......it does not look like that's happened there. They are bigger than stock 302 valves for sure.

Frankly, I’d rather have the 1.88’s in them.

That's kinda the direction I was goin. I think the 2.02s would be overkill unless there's enough port there to shape and take advantage of and I'm not sure there is.

Thanks again to everyone

We're not trying to be asses about this.....well not about this....LOL.....just trying to make sure you have what you've been told and it doesn't look like it. Here's one of the pictures Max posted. Look how much chamber you'd have to get into to get it done. It can be done, but IMO the chamber would show signs of being cut and yours does not. Also notice less room there is between that intake and where the exhaust valve would be. It would be much less than what you are showing I believe.......of course these are just pictures, which could be somewhat inaccurate. But it sure looks that way.

202 in a 302.JPG

After looking again closely, it's possible those are 2.02s. Look at the red area I circled. Now compare that to the head with the stock valves. Clearly the head with the larger valves has had the chamber cut in that area. It's a tricky picture to judge for sure. Just might be 2.02 and 1.50 but boy that would be a mismatch for those heads, IMO.

It might help if I added the picture. lol

202 MAYBE.png

Last edited:
After looking again closely, it's possible those are 2.02s. Look at the red area I circled. Now compare that to the head with the stock valves. Clearly the head with the larger valves has had the chamber cut in that area. It's a tricky picture to judge for sure. Just might be 2.02 and 1.50 but boy that would be a mismatch for those heads, IMO.
Red area you circled? I don't see it.

-
Back