318 build using 302 heads

-
The OP will measure them, then iiwii.

The “word on the street” is, the 302’s Dulcich ported for that magazine test started having issues on the dyno....... leaking coolant from what I remember.
In heavily ported form with 2.02 valves, I wouldn’t consider them a very reliable long term option.
But that’s just me.

I will check tomorrow, and let y’all know. I just picked these up last week, just unwrapped them for the picture. If they are smaller I’m sure he had a reason to go that route, he has been in the business a long time, I will ask him. Thanks again Marcus and Justin

I always thought that the issue of a 2.02 valve in a 318 block had to do with the valve being shrouded by the cylinder wall when it was open, resulting in less flow than the 1.88 valve and that's why nobody used 2.02s with a 318 block - they could flow great as a head on a bench, but not on an actual motor. That's why it was suggested that the edge of the bore be notched at the top to provide clearance for flow.

its not the cylinder bore that shrouds the valves its the lip in the combustion chamber of the head! 2.02s fit a 318 bore just fine,myths spread by those who dont have a clue!

its not the cylinder bore that shrouds the valves its the lip in the combustion chamber of the head! 2.02s fit a 318 bore just fine,myths spread by those who dont have a clue!

Exactly true. When you do the REQUIRED cutting for the larger valves, you ARE deshrouding the area around the intake valve so the shrouding issue is a non issue.

Good morning everyone, I just checked the heads, they are 1.88, / 1.60. I talked to my buddy, he said he could have done the 2.02 valves, but it would have not have made big difference in those heads. He did also say, those heads are prone for cracking between the valves with the 2.02. Both of these points were made in this discussion, that says a lot for everyone here. For what My son and I are
173D8878-7F9D-42F7-B625-3A60A863AFB1.jpeg
doing with the heads, He said we are on the right path, he did assure me that all the port work was done correctly, and the right way.
Thanks for all your input and experience. That is how we learn. I’m trying to load a damn picture, sorry

Good morning everyone, I just checked the heads, they are 1.88, / 1.60. I talked to my buddy, he said he could have done the 2.02 valves, but it would have not have made big difference in those heads. He did also say, those heads are prone for cracking between the valves with the 2.02. Both of these points were made in this discussion, that says a lot for everyone here. For what My son and I are View attachment 1715609809 doing with the heads, He said we are on the right path, he did assure me that all the port work was done correctly, and the right way.
Thanks for all your input and experience. That is how we learn. I’m trying to load a damn picture, sorry
Did he tell you he put 2.02 valves in knowing they were 1.88s?

No, when I dropped them off we talked about putting 2.02’s them in, that was all that was said. I told him to do what he does best, he has never let me down .
Thanks again and never to old to learn. We appreciate all the input.

you are fine 302s need more bowl and port work to make more hp

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back