318 Carb ??

-

xempirex

Reaction score
Completely new to engine talk so bear with me. I have a 318 2 bbl in my valiant. Would changing to a 4 bbl be a good start? Is it a simple process? What else can I do to beef it up?

Yes, it is a easy and good power upgrade. Alot depends on what you want out of it and what you have now as well as where you want to be at the end.

Other things that can be done to a stock 318 with nice results are;

Ignition upgrade. I suggest a MSD 6A box and a recurved distributor.
Cam swap. One that works with your gear ratio or intended ratio.
Headers. The problem with these are the only 2 headers worth considering are Doug's and tti's at a hefty sum compared to the one size fits all styles that every other brand offer that may or may not fit not to mention the 3 tubes that hang dso low under the front end linkages that they scrape the floor and get dented.

March pulleys offer a few ponies. A MP viscous fan gives up a few HP.

Completely new to engine talk so bear with me. I have a 318 2 bbl in my valiant. Would changing to a 4 bbl be a good start? Is it a simple process? What else can I do to beef it up?

Definitely, changing to a SMALL 4 barrel will wake up the engine, even if thats all you do to it. Choose a dual-plane manifold with the small,273/318 ports (E'brock Performer/LD4B ,etc.) and NOT the 340/360 ports, as there will be a port mismatch that will affect performance. For a carb, select a 500cfm Carter/E'brock or Holley (your choice there), vacuum secondaries. If you want to go farther, "rumble" pretty much nailed it.

"March" is a brand of replacement belt-pulley systems that you can change the ratios for a bit more ponies.

Good luck!

I have the serpintine pulleys on my Cuda's 360. No A/C. I used the OEM Alt. brackets on Edelbrock heads. You'll need to cut the factory spacers down a tad if you go that route. Video below. Hard to see. A performance set can free up a few HP.
I'd do a 600 cfm Carter. AFB is fine, I like the AVS better.

Before I put the 440 in my Swinger I had a 360. I tried every brand of 4 barrel available and my best combo turned out to be a 500cfm Holley 2 barrel. It had excellant throttle responce and was every dependable. It bolts right on and all you need it the typical Chrysler linkage kit. :cheers:

-
Back