318 Chyrsler Stroker kits

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Hi guys, iam planning on stroking my 318, here is what the kit contains. Scat 4.00 inch stroke cast 9000 series crankshaft. Forged keith black dish pistons. Scat i beam connecting rods. Total seal file fit rings. Clevite 1/2 groove tri-metall main bearings. Clevite narrowed tri-metal rod bearings and a crank key. This is what i drive now, 1974 dart sport 318 , the engine has the stock pistons (flat tops) the block is not zero decked with reworked 318 heads. I run the rpm intake with a holley 650 with a 1 inch carb spacer. The camshaft is a comp xe268 477/480 with a set of hedders.This car also has a 3000 stall with a set of 391 gears in it, i also got the cars weight down with fiberglass parts it weighs about 3100 pounds with my fat a ss in it (LOL). The engine of course will have to be torn apart, so here is my ? to you guys. Does the block need to be zero decked?. Is the eddy 60779 heads a good choice for this engine(63 ccs). I think that iam undercammed now, can you recommend a better camshaft? Will the 650 holley carb be to small? i was thinking holley 750 . Any help is grateful, iam going to do this i think once this is done i hope to have a strong street machine. Thanks Newathis

Opps i forgot to say that it will be stroked to a 390. Thanks for the help guys.

Opps i forgot to say that it will be stroked to a 390. Thanks for the help guys.
If you got the money I would go with a Callies Dragonslayer kit....see if Mancini Racing carries them...another good place is Hughes Engines and maybe Muscle Motors

You are using the same parts I am going to use later this summer to build a 390...the scat crank will do just fine in there.....the scat crank can be internally balanced with out adding any mallory metal also.

Cam wise I would use at leat a Comp XE275HL cam....

cylinder heads....the edelbrock close chamber is a good choice...but the best bang for the buck these days are a set of prepped RHS/Indy X heads....

Do a search for the RHS/Indy head on the forum you will find alot good info..also check out this link.

http://www.immengines.com/rhsheads.html

OK,heres the best way to build a stroker imho. Have the block deck checked for square and trial fit the pistons cranks rods. Ideal quench is from .035-.040. This distance is made with your head gasket,and is the clearance between any quench pad on your head and piston dome. Any domed piston will have to have the dome machined to establish correct quench. Most chrysler engines did not come with quench so they are ideal to set up,but it will require machining. Quench is ideal for helping prevent pinging with todays fuels,and believe it or not 10.5:1 can be used with quench and 89 octane if it is done right. You need to take care of any sharp edges in the chamber as they will glow and again,detonation.

If you have a flat top piston,the only machining will be to square the deck. But the whole rotating assembly will need to be stroke indexed,so that all the pistons come to the same height,possibly with a new crank/rods as well. Just depends on the quality of everything.

With an auto tranny,never use tighter than .035 quench.

And yes rthe carb and cam are a bit small. Id try a 750 cfm and the cam should be at least .525 lift

Heck it depends on your budget but even with the same cam/carb it should feel much stronger. I put the money in to the short block and go from there. Seems like builds always cost more $ than you budget for.

Prep right the Edey heads are great but don't rule out the cast iron heads. You might even find a good buy on ebay of an older J head with 2.02 intakes..M.M. told me a .030 over 318 clears ok. Yeah if you got a month or two, check out ebay for some rebuilt heads that never been used--likely cause their build went way over budget

All sounds good, except for the 275HL comp cam.......... Ran it, went to a smaller voodoo in my 390 and got more power all around.

And comps seem to lose lobes more frequently, and blame it on the oil, or break in.

Look elsewhere, Lunati, Hughes..............

There are some nice hughs whiplash cams that might work good in a 390 stroker. You want something with lots of duration or real fast ramps to get the cylinder filled up quickly. That long stroke requires good lungs,so get some decent heads. Eddies are ok but for the money Im certain your better off with the RHS head.

Thanks for the information guys, can you tell me want the RHS heads have over the eddys (idont know) except that the eddys are not cast iron. Also i forgot to mention that if i got a camshaft with 525 lift would this camshaft work well with power brakes? Thanks again for the help.

I meant to say what does the rhs heads have over the eddys (my crappy spelling)

-
Back