318 comp cam

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
Hey peeps!

Anyone ever run one of these? On their 318?

Been offered one of these
COMP Cams 20-225-4 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing

Hopefully should wake it up a bit as it's the heads and cam that let it down now.

1970 318 V8 stock bottom end
Eddie performer intake
Eddie 650 thunder
Hooker headers
Dual cross pipe exhaust.
4 speed

Currently has standard 318 heads but when this cam goes in it will have something different

Maybe some 302 castings or the older 273 closed chamber heads to help bump compression. Ported to match. And maybe the 1.88 valves too.

What you reckon on cam choice? Car is NOT a daily, and only a very occasional strip car. mainly a street driven toy.

Thanks

Better plan on some steep gears. I would jump right past the iron heads and go on the hunt for a set of speed masters at a minimum.

Hey peeps!

Hopefully should wake it up a bit as it's the heads and cam that let it down now.

Eddie performer intake
Eddie 650 thunder
Hooker headers
Dual cross pipe exhaust.
4 speed

Currently has standard 318 heads but when this cam goes in it will have something different

Maybe some 302 castings or the older 273 closed chamber heads to help bump compression. Ported to match. And maybe the 1.88 valves too.

What you reckon on cam choice? Car is NOT a daily, and only a very occasional strip car. mainly a street driven toy.

Thanks
I see you are from the UK so your selection may be a bit limited. There's a lot of talk about issues with Comp cams and lifters.

You better have a good converter and 391-410s

be ready to hear thats too big a cam, and youll need converter and gears and some will say a un holy amount of rpms!! then your gonna be swamped with hate on 302 heads!! but id do it but id run a single plain intake and a mechanical holley 750!!

.510 lift is pretty aggressive for a 318 if otherwise stock.

Likely will need machine work on the spring seats.

Power band will be in the high RPM range.

Performer is too small. Heads unless really worked over are probably too. Like Garrett said look to the Speed Masters or similar.

There are better choices for cam. Talk to a grinder.

Yeah I did think this was on the large side for my application.

But things like this don't often pop up UK side and this price so thought it was worth asking before I got to excited and bought it and did all the work.

The rear is in my 8.75 is 3.55 which is about as far as I want to go for highway streetability

dont really want it to be an extremely screamy engine.

Hey peeps!

Eddie performer intake
Eddie 650 thunder
Hooker headers
Dual cross pipe exhaust.
4 speed

Thanks
That cam is going to want compression, gears, and a converter. None of which you mention, so I am going to say much better choices out there.

Yeah I did think this was on the large side for my application.

But things like this don't often pop up UK side and this price so thought it was worth asking before I got to excited and bought it and did all the work.

The rear is in my 8.75 is 3.55 which is about as far as I want to go for highway streetability

dont really want it to be an extremely screamy engine.
A mismatched cam like that will cost you more in fuel the first year than what you would save on any potential deal.

Don't forget the cam will require springs. Do you really want to put money and work into the heads you now have?

That Lunati looks like a really good cam for a mild setup 318/4 speed and 3.55 gear.
The Comp cam would be better suited for 340/360.
“302” heads will help a bit with compression but keep in mind they are not performance heads but they do have hardened exhaust valve seats compared to ‘70 heads. Almost any head can be massaged to flow better.
Watch for cracked heads especially in between the valves on the “302” heads.
When building a mild 318 keep it simple and less is more if not racing.

You'll need to watch the spring retainer to guide clearance with that much lift. You'll likely have to machine the top of the guides down some.

Hey peeps!

Eddie performer intake
Eddie 650 thunder
Hooker headers
Dual cross pipe exhaust.
4 speed

Thanks
12 second bracket, not a good choice with your running gear.

What car?
That or one step larger at max. The manual can handle the next size up depending on what it is & the compression ratio of the engine now.

I just now paid closer attention to that cam. If he's gonna use that, he may as well use the one Melling offers.
Yeah, it’s pretty much a slightly larger copy of a 340 cam, but with a lower .006 duration. Another choice that’s good here is a comp XE262.

-
Back