318 custom badging?

-

j_anderson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 dart with a 318. It will have dual scoops on the hood. The scoops currently have 340 badges on them but I don't feel right leaving them on the scoops when my car doesn't have a 340.

I know US cars of the era never had 318 badging but I have read other markets like Australia did. Ive been doing some searching here on the forum and came across an old thread where a forum member made some custom badging for another forum member. They were modeled after the 383 four barrel badging

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.57.58 PM.png

Here is that thread:
"318 Four Barrel" Emblem "Update"

emblem1.jpg

I would like to have a pair of these made but it looks like the member who made them (MOtorPARts) hasn't been active since 2016 and the member (19 Again..) he made them for hasn't been active since 2018

Question is, would anyone happen to know MOtorPARts and if he is still making these emblems on the side?

If not, can anyone recommend a company who is or could be making these? I got a quote from Yoast at almost $400 a pair for Acrylic with 3M backing. They said if I could supply a clean vector file, the price would be about $220. I'd be in for $220 but not much more.

I had originally thought buying a bunch of these would help offset the cost. I asked for a quote for 10 (5 sets). They quoted $840 which works out to just under $170 a pair. That quantity pricing included a 40% discount. So, the other option would be finding 4 others who would pay $170 for a pair of these and go for a group buy. I would be willing to pay for these if I could gage some level of interest.

Are you married to the idea of "318 Four Barrel" emblems?
The scoops just used "340" emblems.
EBay is loaded with emblems for the BMW 318i and 318d guys, cheap- self adhesive, just leave the suffix letter off.
Like these:
s-l225.webp
vs.
s-l225.webp

Or just go to the boneyard and get a couple...
There's even a 318CI, just tell people it's "cubic inch".
s-l225.webp

Question is, would anyone happen to know MOtorPARts and if he is still making these emblems on the side?

i personally know Jeff and do know he is no longer making any emblems as he moved from the job where he could make them to another job. He is currently concentrating on his Magnum wagon racing it it believe

I see "Vans" classic car parts out of Wisconsin Sells all kinds of emblems.

Maybe they would be in the market to sell the Extras of the "318 Four Barrel"
emblems if you do a production run.

Screenshot_20220411-184847_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-184258_Firefox.jpg

Or maybe their supplier manufacting people could make up the:
318 Four Barrel emblems for you.

i personally know Jeff and do know he is no longer making any emblems as he moved from the job where he could make them to another job. He is currently concentrating on his Magnum wagon racing it it believe

I’m not sure how he made those emblems before but could you ask him if he used a vector file and if so, dies he still have the file?

I’m not sure how he made those emblems before but could you ask him if he used a vector file and if so, dies he still have the file?

I know he used some kind of mill - set the metal in place and start the mill which did it automatically. So there was some kind of file but that’s all I knew about it. I know he sold many different alpha/numeric combos both at the Nationals, online and maybe with other Mopar forums. You never know, he might have some left over - i will ask about that as well

Also be aware that anything sized like the 383 Four Barrel emblems that you have pictured may be too tall for the twin factory scoops... a touch over 2" x4" IIRC- they were intended as a fender badge.

I'm in the same quandary, not wanting to misrepresent. My hood scoops were made (by MoparsByCrane (now defunct)) without the 340 badge holes. I asked FABO member @challengergary to make some 318 decals, but I haven't put them on the scoops yet. I'm still undecided.

318 Hood Scoop Decal.jpg

Are you married to the idea of "318 Four Barrel" emblems?
The scoops just used "340" emblems.
EBay is loaded with emblems for the BMW 318i and 318d guys, cheap- self adhesive, just leave the suffix letter off.
Like these:
s-l225.webp
vs.
s-l225.webp

Or just go to the boneyard and get a couple...
There's even a 318CI, just tell people it's "cubic inch".
s-l225.webp
I wouldn’t necessarily be married to the four barrel wording but I would like to match the font/look of the era whichever route I go

I'm in the same quandary, not wanting to misrepresent. My hood scoops were made (by MoparsByCrane (now defunct)) without the 340 badge holes. I asked FABO member @challengergary to make some 318 decals, but I haven't put them on the scoops yet. I'm still undecided.

View attachment 1715905871
Would you be interested in badges if I can get some made?

Subscribed. A replacement for the 340 callouts on my scoops with a like 318 callout would be cool. I have to answer a lot of questions at car shows. If I take the m off there's holes to plug and paint to match. :BangHead::BangHead:

20161105_142442.jpg

Subscribed. A replacement for the 340 callouts on my scoops with a like 318 callout would be cool. I have to answer a lot of questions at car shows. If I take the m off there's holes to plug and paint to match. :BangHead::BangHead:

View attachment 1715907317
I have asked one of the companies I've reached out to for a quote for 318. I'm betting they would have to be individual numbers since there's no good way to connect 3-1-8 like there is 340 in the photo above.

I have asked one of the companies I've reached out to for a quote for 318. I'm betting they would have to be individual numbers since there's no good way to connect 3-1-8 like there is 340 in the photo above.
True that. Something I didn't think about. It would be ok to connect the numbers ile in post #6 and 13 above. The 340 in my photo has a small bar in between the numbers. It is black like the side of the numbers and not noticable.

True that. Something I didn't think about. It would be ok to connect the numbers ile in post #6 and 13 above. The 340 in my photo has a small bar in between the numbers. It is black like the side of the numbers and not noticable.
yes but how would the black connector bars look on either side of a 1? I guess thats up to the emblem makers to solve :)

-
Back