318 custom badging?

-
nice looking 318 you've got there @George Jets

You need to sweet talk that machinist friend into tackling these emblems for us!

IMG_7754.JPG

by the time your done with this nonsense, you could have swapped in a 340

poke.gif

First 3D print with chrome pen and black marker.

Not thick enough.

Good take for not having anything more than a photo.

The crappy texture of the chrome is the pen.

Spray chrome would be glass smooth.

PXL_20220420_044036143.jpg

Why not look at some of the Mexican and South American cars? They had performance versions of the 318. Maybe they used some emblems like what you're lookin for.

Why not look at some of the Mexican and South American cars? They had performance versions of the 318. Maybe they used some emblems like what you're lookin for.

Australia 318 Emblems? will have to look for them.

Maybe some of the FABO members from Australia can find them?

Australian cars had 318 emblems.

You can buy them but they are somewhat pricey, as is shipping.

Interestingly, Mexican and South American 318 Hi-Po cars got "270" emblems, IIRC to denote horsepower.

Interesting there is a Post on FABO from back in 2013 members were looking for the "318 FOUR BARREL Emblems"

318 hood scoop emblems

This pic below is still the best made 318 FOUR BARREL I have seen so far.
Made by a machinist.

emblem-2-jpg.jpg

Interesting there is a Post on FABO from back in 2013 members were looking for the "318 FOUR BARREL Emblems"

318 hood scoop emblems

This pic below is still the best made 318 FOUR BARREL I have seen so far.
Made by a machinist.

View attachment 1715910875
yes, this is what started (and was mentioned) at the start of this thread. I was looking for the guy who made them. He was making these on the side at his job but he's working somewhere else now and no longer making them. I think it looks awesome

Another way to do them.

Aluminum stock with minimal machining and painted black background.

If the font and angle was done right, they would be a win.

upload_2022-4-20_8-5-40.png

yes, this is what started (and was mentioned) at the start of this thread. I was looking for the guy who made them. He was making these on the side at his job but he's working somewhere else now and no longer making them. I think it looks awesome

Here is proof that is can be done.

Another way to do them.

Aluminum stock with minimal machining and painted black background.

If the font and angle was done right, they would be a win.

View attachment 1715910877
funny,I saw this emblem on flea bay before you posted this and posted the same one. I have sent a message to that seller asking if he makes the emblems or if he could make some. I sent him a few ideas. fingers crossed.

There is a program online for creating 3D images called Blender.

blender.org

For those that want to try their hand at it. Like how you can rotate images in 3D, and expand or contract for sizing.

20220420_084505.jpg

Like how these came together, you can see the steps in the machining process:

upload_2022-4-20_9-11-3.png

#72 is a previous fantasy/fabrication.

#80 and others like- the font doesn't match between the 3 and the 8. Looks very off to me and not at all what the factory would do, sorry.

As RRR posted, Mexico, Central/South America and Australia/NZ all had factory performance/4 barrel 318 engines, that had actual, factory emblems and decals/stickers.

You used to be able to find the "Fireball 318" stuff on ebay but shipping was more than the item, making it over $50 for a sticker.

As RRR posted, Mexico, Central/South America and Australia/NZ all had factory performance/4 barrel 318 engines, that had actual, factory emblems and decals/stickers.

The Australian 318 stuff I've seen that I do like is a trunk emblem and is too big to mount to a hood scoop. I haven't had much luck finding anything from these markets yet: Mexico, Central/South America. Someone above mentioned the 318 stuff actually received 270 badging.

@Dana67Dart

If it's the 383 four barrel style I need some dimensions.

Length and width of the top chrome section of the "3"
1 3/32” x 23/32”

The backside length and width of the "3"
1 3/16” x 9/16”

The thickness of the "3"
7/32”

The length and width of the chrome front of the Four Barrel bar
3” x 9/32”

The length and width of the back of the Four Barrel bar
3 5/32” x 17/32”

The distance between the bottom of the "3" and the top of the bar
1/4”

The height and width of "L"
5/32” x 5/32”

The width of the horizontal and vertical sections of the "L"
1/32 x 3/64”

The depth of the lettering on the bar.
1/32”

We can figure the pins later or you can use adhesive to secure.
2 3/4” on center is the width but they are offset. Double sided tape would be an acceptable option.
upload_2022-4-20_19-49-6.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back