318 differences ??

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
I don't do too much with small blocks so it might seem obvious to some but.....

I have a running 318/904 out of my 68 coronet ....seems to be the original, everything is late 67 dated which corresponds with the build date of the car.

I am not going to use it so a neighbor guy up the road wants to buy it to use in his 75 duster. The duster has a small block K-frame but didn't have an engine when he got it.

So our question is: how much different is a 68 318 from what a 75 318 would be? would it be better to hunt and find a 75 318 or close for the duster?

would it be a bolt in deal? anything to look out for?

He will need to use his motor mounts & exhaust manifolds for sure. As fo the rest he may halfta use his accessory brackets & accessory's too. I cant remember what year the water pump inlet went from dr. Side to pass side. If there the same no problom. If there diffrent he'll need to use his dampener, timing cover & water pump. Thats about it other than linkages.

You will need the mounts that came off the 75 engine. The early engine has very small connecting rods and heads with unhardened valve seats. Depending on how much power you are wanting to make from the 318 the rods could be an issue. Some say the early heads are OK with todays fuel and some say the seats won't last. So far I have no issues from the 69 heads on todays crap fuel but I don't put many miles on it.

I said it would bolt right in , but forgot about the timing cover / water pump differences.

Use the original vibration balancer for the engine, then put the 70 and later timing chain cover and water pump on.

Find TDC and make a new mark where the damper lines up on the new marks on the timing chain cover.

Then you're good to go...

PS: While changing the timing chain cover, get rid of the junk single row timing chain and install a good double roller timing chain. Like this one:

http://www.manciniracing.com/edelbrock4.html

or do not change anything on the front of the pre 1970 engine and use a pre 1970 radiator. use 1973+ engine mounts

She's selling an engine, not rebuilding it. :D

Rani can give the buyer an idea what he might be in for, and she can sell him whatever he wants after the fact.

Giving him a heads up on what it might involve is a good thing, but unless you are also installing it for him all the details are his problem.
Just be helpful, professional and there with parts to sell if he needs them. :D

-
Back