318 Double row timing upgrade?

-
the timing gasket set comes with a thick felt doughnut looking washer. about the size that would go around crank shaft end. where does that go? there was nothing like that on when i pulled it appart.

After you install the chain and gears, it goes on the crank; see how the timing cover is indented out for it?

And don't spare the RTV on the bottom of the rubber pan seal and the bottom of the timing cover-problem area.

Check the backside of your balancer, it goes there, it keeps dust and dirt from getting in the front seal. It was designed for engines that were in industrial applications that would be in a dusty dirty environment. Make sure and hold it over the front of the cover and see if it has no contact with the seal if it does don't use it. Also be sure to lube the crank snout so you don't have a dry seal on start up.

the crank shaft after the sprocket goes on has a sheet metal disk that goes between the sprocket and timing cover. is there anything used to hold in place? there was nothing when i took it apart.

The rear snout of the balancer "mashes up against it" when installed. How's that for "technical terminology?"

ahh i gotya... thanks.
didnt make sense for a second and didnt want to flub it up...
i didnt think that seal on the front of the pan gets any silicone?

I don't even use the front/ rear "half moon" seals, nor do I use the front/ rear gaskets on the intake. I just lay a big bead of sillycone down, spread it "in" after the pan/ intake is installed, and let it set.

I typically put a VERY small smear of silicone around the OD of the timing cover seal, as well as a REALLY very tiny smear around the ID of the balancer to seal the crank to the balancer

the half moon seals for the corners of the oil pan were a pain in the ***... i ended up just tossing them and loading it with rtv.
i got the cover on but im having trouble getting the balancer back on. any tips or tricks? it goes on about 3/4" then stops right about where the key starts. feels like i get the key to line up but thats about it. i tapped it with a rubber mallet but started running out of light so didnt put much effort into it.

Rubber is not going to hack it. I just bang the thing on far enough to "safely" engage the bolt.

If you don't like using a hammer, go down to your local fastener's store with the bolt, and get one maybe 1" or so longer. Then you can pull it in a ways until you can then engage the original.

-
Back