318 driver - cam change or not?

-
Not sure if I have seen it, but how about using a stock 360 cam? If OP is dead set on changing the cam to something larger and still want good drivability on the street, that would be my choice. Add some 2.94 or 3.23 and high stall converter and have fun!

the 360-2 cam gets brought up but usually gets shot down IIRC because of long duration or valve closing.

It's always said "you can do better", but almost never any suggestions follow except "call a cam grinder", "install a .500 lift cam, 4.10 gears and a 4000 converter after milling the heads", or "build a stroker".

With the technical analysis of a few members who have more than demonstrated a thorough knowledge of cam design, I would think we could find a group of contenders and come up with a few cases of-

"this one works for just a 4 bbl and duals build with highway gears"
"this one's better with the above and 3.23s"
"this one adds some high end but drops low end 5%"
"this one kills MPG...because"

or the likes.

Something I don't see mentioned hardly ever on 318 threads-

We should probably acknowledge that we are dealing with two different groups of engines (actually 3 but group 1 and group 3 could be considered similar)

Group 1 is the 67-70 9.2:1 advertised compression engine

Group 2 is the 71-84 8.8:1 mill

Group 3 is the 85-91 LA roller- back to 9.2:1 and with "302" heads

From all the discussions I read it seems that even that .4 of compression could be a big difference when choosing a small cam for a small displacement engine. Even if it's actually more like 8:1 and 9:1 (I have a suspicion, along with anecdotal evidence that factory ratings got closer to the "true" rating as we get closer to the modern day- IE the LA roller is probably an actual 9.2:1 motor).

We should also probably discuss what the largest lift is on typical 318 heads before milling the valve spring base is necessary.

I don't think you can compare ford 302 performance to 318 performance for a given grind. they are wildly different esp in the head.

good points yy1
360 cam
I've had customers try it
not worth the time and effort
Aj posted in another thread today
" But I sure noticed a torque loss at the bottom, whenever I installed a 340 cam. To this day I have three or four of those cams kicking around."
340 or the 204-214 cam are worse than the 360 but same problem
open the exhaust way too early and not much lift for the duration
they come under your
  1. "this one adds some high end but drops low end 5%" (more than 5% late intake closing)
    "this one kills MPG...because" (early open exhaust on the power stroke)

ReportBookmark
    + QuoteReply
  2. Today at 5:02 AM#82
    22681.gif

YY1Well-Known Member
    Local Time:
    3:33 PM
    NewSomething I don't see mentioned hardly ever on 318 threads-

We should probably acknowledge that we are dealing with two different groups of engines (actually 3 but group 1 and group 3 could be considered similar)

Group 1 is the 67-70 9.2:1 advertised compression engine

Group 2 is the 71-84 8.8:1 mill

Group 3 is the 85-91 LA roller- back to 9.2:1 and with "302" heads

From all the discussions I read it seems that even that .4 of compression could be a big difference when choosing a small cam for a small displacement engine. Even if it's actually more like 8:1 and 9:1 (I have a suspicion, along with anecdotal evidence that factory ratings got closer to the "true" rating as we get closer to the modern day- IE the LA roller is probably an actual 9.2:1 motor).

We should also probably discuss what the largest lift is on typical 318 heads before milling the valve spring base is necessary.

I don't think you can compare ford 302 performance to 318 performance for a given grind. they are wildly different esp in the head.

ReportBookmark
    + QuoteReply

Page 4 of 4
< Prev1234
Go to First Unread

• Indent" class="redactor_btn_indent" unselectable="on" tabindex="-1" style="color: rgb(215, 215, 215); border: 1px solid transparent; box-sizing: border-box; display: block; line-height: 0; cursor: pointer; zoom: 1; outline: none; width: 24px; height: 24px; text-align: center;">

-
Back