318 engine identification

-
How do you come up with 4-20-72 ?

My calculator comes up with Wednesday October 20 1971

My mistake, The Sheet posted in post #1 says 1972 is 3625 to 3990. I interpreted 1972 to mean calendar year Jan to Dec vs. model year 1972 which would be from July 1971-to June 1972.

Thank you for pointing it out. :^)

Hang with it. Body work sucks. Who’s gonna paint it?

Well I'm kinda doing it in sections. Right now i'm eliminating all the rust from the door jams back to the tail panel. Ive been painting parts as i go with epoxy primer so by June it'll probably just be in primer. The whole car wont be painted this year.

Should be both sides.
Sonic check it pronto, you could do it "4x4" 4"stroke n bore... or just stuff kb243s in it.

It is same both sides i just was referring to the side i took the picture of. As far as the rebuild like i said its going to be awhile. When the weather warms up around here Im going to get the slant running so i can drive it around this year. As far as i can tell it just needs a little tweeking to get it right. Then later on ill think about the motor work for the 318.

That is a truck motor mount, do you know what size truck 100, 200, 300,?
And a truck oil pan. In forty years, I've never heard of a four bolt 318 truck engine?

People will say anything to sell an engine. I once had a guy tell me that the 360 LA engine he was selling was a "full roller" engine. I asked if we could pop a valve cover real quick to check. Guess what we found? Not even roller rockers. It was a crate engine with the "capability" of running a roller cam. He knocked $200 off the price and I bought it.

And a truck oil pan. In forty years, I've never heard of a four bolt 318 truck engine?

People will say anything to sell an engine. I once had a guy tell me that the 360 LA engine he was selling was a "full roller" engine. I asked if we could pop a valve cover real quick to check. Guess what we found? Not even roller rockers. It was a crate engine with the "capability" of running a roller cam. He knocked $200 off the price and I bought it.

What are you saying?
Are you confused in thinking we are talking about 4 bolt mains? We aren't. We are talking about 4 bolt motor ear mounts on truck blocks, and that those blocks do have thicker cylinder walls....I know 1st hand and have done one at 4.040 . Im sure "full roller" meant the "lifters" on that mag 360 btw, not roller rockers. People confuse terms, especially novices.

We are talking about 4 bolt motor ear mounts on truck blocks, and that those blocks do have thicker cylinder walls....I know 1st hand and have done one at 4.040
That’s the first I’ve ever heard about the thick walls being identified by the four motor mount bolt lugs. Do p-car 318s only have 3? My ‘74 318 has 4 mount lugs same as both my 340s - I thought all smallblocks had 4 lugs per side?

That’s the first I’ve ever heard about the thick walls being identified by the four motor mount bolt lugs. Do p-car 318s only have 3? My ‘74 318 has 4 mount lugs same as both my 340s - I thought all smallblocks had 4 lugs per side?
Not all.
340?
My '70 340 has 3, a lot of 318's had 3, 360 were 3 etc.

Last edited:
What are you saying?
Are you confused in thinking we are talking about 4 bolt mains? We aren't. We are talking about 4 bolt motor ear mounts on truck blocks, and that those blocks do have thicker cylinder walls....I know 1st hand and have done one at 4.040 . Im sure "full roller" meant the "lifters" on that mag 360 btw, not roller rockers. People confuse terms, especially novices.

So it's pretty safe to believe that this is a truck motor. That's great the cylinder walls are thicker and good info to know. When time comes to dig into it I'll have a better idea. I appreciate all the help!

Not all.
340?
My '70 340 has 3, a lot of 318's had 3, 360 were 3 etc.
That’s so strange. There has to be some sort of rhyme or reason to which got 4 and which got 3. Makes no sense. Different casting boxes at different foundries? My ‘70 340 has 4 but yours only has 3? WTF? I have to get to the bottom of this.

What are you saying?

Yeah, my bad. I thought the original post was asking about four bolt mains. Now that I go back and re-read it I see it's not. Sorry.

Im sure "full roller" meant the "lifters" on that mag 360 btw, not roller rockers. People confuse terms, especially novices.

I'm sure in the sellers mind it did too. That's the way he represented it me. It was a LA block, not a Magnum. And no, it didn't have ANYTHING roller in it. The block was capable of running roller lifters, after I added them, the dog bones and a spider.

That's right, they know....4" bore 318's are more common than you think.

You've mentioned that twice now. "4x4" 4" stroke and bore. What does that mean exactly. As I've never rebuilt an engine or researched it much since I'm not at that step, and you said you did one...what were your results?

And this i'snt mean to get into a huge discussion on it really... I don't want to waste your time just asking some questions.
thanks

Last edited:
You've mentioned that twice now. "4x4" 4" stroke and bore. What does that mean exactly. As I've never rebuilt an engine or researched it much since I'm not at that step, and you said you did one...what were your results?

And this i'snt mean to get into a huge discussion on it really... I don't want to waste your time just asking some questions.
thanks
“4x4” is slang for a motor with a 4.00” cylinder bore and a 4.00” stroke crankshaft. Some folks believe it is ideal.

“4x4” is slang for a motor with a 4.00” cylinder bore and a 4.00” stroke crankshaft. Some folks believe it is ideal.
Oh ok. So bore the stock 3.910 or whatever it is bore to 4.000. and put a stroker crankshaft in it (or whatever it takes to get it to 4 from stock). Looking online real quick with that combo or one like it would put it at 390 cid

Oh ok. So bore the stock 3.910 or whatever it is bore to 4.000. and put a stroker crankshaft in it (or whatever it takes to get it to 4 from stock). Looking online real quick with that combo or one like it would put it at 390 cid
You got it :thumbsup:

-
Back