318 Factory 4-Barrel ?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I have a 79 318 with a thermoquad in a Volare. There is no question that the combination is factory.

I have read that these cars used 360 heads, like the 596 or something.

Did the factory do anything with the compression or is it just real low?

Thanks, ROB

Just real low. The 360 heads are stock. The intake is a 360 intake as well. That kept it cheap by taking parts of the shelf rather than (Re-) design parts for the 318.
I'm not sure of the casting number right now. But it sounds right.

Sounds like it may not be the best foundation for a build. I didn't really think that they would boost the compression to make things work but I thought I would ask.

I'm still looking at combos....and what parts I already have.

Thanks, ROB

In the mid 80's I worked in a service station that had the contract for the maintenance on our local sheriff's cruisers which were Diplomats with 318 4 barrels. Why they didn't opt for the 360 in a police car I'll never know. I had the opportunity to "test drive" a few of them. They didn't run too badly on top end, but they were a dog from 0-40. Low compression all the way with a very mild camshaft profile from the idle and vacuum characteristics. But they did have that HUGE alternator to support all the electronics. My 71 318 3 spd. Dart was much faster 0-60, but I wouldn't have wanted to try and outrun one on top end with my puny 2 barrel and 3:91 gears.

What parts do you have now?
Whats the intent of the build?
The factory parts can be adjusted to work very well.
Cylinder head shave, new pushrods, cam , open aircleaner and headers.
You can swap out the carb or re-tune the T-Q.

I suppose I should start a new thread, but the big picture is I want my 73 duster to run in the high 13's next summer.

I am a shop teacher and I have been looking at options to get there. I have found several big blocks, looked at an install or two this weekend and I don't think I want to go there for what I am after. I really don't think it is needed to get there.

Here's what I have and would like to use:

4.10 Sure-Grip
2.74 904 tranny that I am wanting to build this next winter
2500 Stall-Mopar Performance
Subframe connectors
Homebrew rear springs for a better launch

Engine is up in the air at this point. I already have the following in my possession:

1. 79 Factory 4-Barrel 318- seems real tight and was told it was rebuilt
2. 78 318 - runs
3. 85 318 roller with 302 heads-ran good, some taper in cylinders
4. 73 318-builder only
5. early 360-could be re-ringed but honestly needs to be bored
6. 318 runs real good, in car now. I would like to keep this one stock.

Speed parts that I own currently:

2 1/2" mufflers etc.
Windage tray
Eddy 600, Eddy 750
Lightweight master cylinder
Holley Street Dominator-single plane, low-rise

Speed parts that I have access to for a reasonable cost:

360-supposedly runs good with a 727 and an Eddy performer intake
I don't know anything about the engine at this point-I will know more soon

1.625 headers

318 extended sump pan

302 casting heads-cleaned and valve job ready to install

Magnum heads-I'm looking into this now

I know that realistically the 360 with a bit of work will probably put me there. My budget is likely going to be a bit over $1000.00 over the winter.

I'm leaning towards getting the chassis and tranny etc. up to snuff and running a 318 for next year. The plan is for a good 360 in the future.

The plan at this point is running the good 318 out of the volare, with the 302 castings from my buddy, a cam, the windage tray and some home brew port work. I have done some port work before but it was awhile ago.

OK-Major TMI but I think that gets it accross what I am after.

Thanks as always, ROB

jeeper said:
4.10 Sure-Grip
2.74 904 tranny that I am wanting to build this next winter
2500 Stall-Mopar Performance
Subframe connectors
Homebrew rear springs for a better launch

2 1/2" mufflers etc.
Windage tray
Eddy 750
Lightweight master cylinder

360-supposedly runs good
....an Eddy performer intake

1.625 headers

I know that realistically the 360 with a bit of work will probably put me there. My budget is likely going to be a bit over $1000.00 over the winter.
Sell what you dont feel like keeping for operating capital. You will need a good ignition, sticky tires, a good dual exhaust, and the 360 counterweighted flexplate for the 904. You should have plenty in that $1000 for most of that stuff.

I usually sell off what I don't need. That is how I have paid for my Jeep projects in years past.

Tomorrow I have an appointment to go and look at the 360 to see what is there.

I just found out that the drums off of an old 7 1/4 were the same as my new 8 1/4. That saves some bucks.

Thanks for the ideas, ROB

The 318 4 barrel was re-introduced (LA version) in 1978, but what people don't realize is there are actually 3 versions of the 318 4 barrel.
The '78-'84 version, which used small port heads and intake, the '85-'89 version which used swirl chambered '302 heads, or 3rd, the 360 headed version.

A spin on this is that a good number of 1982-'84 318s were offered with the 360 heads as part of an optional Police Package upgrade, which also included the windage tray and heavy duty valve springs.
The '78-'81 318 4 barrel engines were rarely found in a Police Package, as the E58 360 was still available.

Mark.

318 cop motors are E48. Check the fender tag if you are pulling one at the JY. They are also supposed to have heavy duty rocker arms. Usually a trans cooler and sometimes an oil cooler. The cop cars also had 125 mph spedometers.

-
Back