318 Factory Four BBL Intake Manifold

-
This discussion brings a question to mind. Regarding the small port 318 head vs large port 360 head. Basically, flow vs velocity in small cubic inch engines. My understanding is that higher velocity will give more low end torque than high flow. Please educate me. Thx 65'
You are absolutely correct. In fact, about 30 years ago I built a 360 with '71 flat top pistons, 318 cam, 318 heads, 318 manifolds, 318 carb... Torque was off the charts! It went into a '74 Power Wagon, got 23 mpg and could probably tow a mobile home up Vale Pass (in Colorado), if only at 45 mph.

You are absolutely correct. In fact, about 30 years ago I built a 360 with '71 flat top pistons, 318 cam, 318 heads, 318 manifolds, 318 carb... Torque was off the charts! It went into a '74 Power Wagon, got 23 mpg and could probably tow a mobile home up Vale Pass (in Colorado), if only at 45 mph.
I posted not long ago about building a hi-tork 360.
Parts:

Edelbrock Streemaster 318 intake, designed for idle to 4500 rpm, high torque.

400 cfm Carter Competition Series,Carb

Oregon Cams regrind to match the package,

67 closed chamber 273 heads,

YES, , smaller ports, higher low end tork

(The Police ELE 318 4bbl continued to use modified J heads and hydraulic flat tappets through 1989).

My 1968 dart 270 318-2 727 shift kit 8 3/4 3.23 sg headers as purchased 17 yr old punk
upgrade to dual port offy and the big block carb with vac ran good
used the direct connection 13 sec 273-318 build section they said to use 340 heads
upgraded to a set of 340 2.02 torker 340 650 dp carb and the purple shaft 213 cam 284 471/474 109 lsa tuned the carb lost bottom end pulled good after 3k to 6k
fixed the bottom end with a nitrous kit and unilte distributor
i beat alot of cars i shoudnt have with the 318 most thought the 270 on the side was for the motor lol
i made way more money then the car cost and all i spent on the parts never mind all the fun
the heads added way more then the lost compression
2nd best sounding mopar i have ever owned

diplomat cop cars had 318 4bbl,i think in the mid 1980's
Right, our South Los Angeles California Highway Patrol office had a small fleet of 'em (and one 5.0 Mustang manual transmission). The Diplomats were slow as mud. No where near the balls of the earlier Dodge Polara 440's. I was a CHP officer there in 1983.

CHP GEO.jpg

Right, our South Los Angeles California Highway Patrol office had a small fleet of 'em (and one 5.0 Mustang manual transmission). The Diplomats were slow as mud. No where near the balls of the earlier Dodge Polara 440's. I was a CHP officer there in 1983.

View attachment 1716020756
Yes, but they didn't make late 70's 440 Polaras in 83.

I had a Montana hiway patrolman thank me for pulling over. Must have been around 1983. He said he would have never caught me.

View attachment 1716020756
My old partner and I were sitting in operator shack one day and hear an odd but very familiar noise :wtf:. We go outside to the street and see one of those CHP Rustangs, in private sector form, just absolutely roasting the tires just outside the fence :eek:. We had no trucks to load so we watched for a while. Driver makes numerous smokey passes past us and eventually stops to talk. He had opened a business in town developing and selling a centrifugal blower system for those FI 302s and the surplus Mustang was his test bed. He was marketing it towards the law enforcement entities that were using them at the time and of course hot rodders. Even with the boost he said it met the smog laws at the time after some tweaking on the ECU.

-
Back