318 flywheel on a 360

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
I have the template to drill the 318 flywheel to balance for a 360 but what I don't see if a reference to the proper position on the flywheel in relationship to the crank. I know the flywheel only fits one way on the crank but looking at the diagram there should be a reference to either a offset hole or the notch on the crank so as to not be 180* off

I have the PDF file that explains the flywheel but it starts to reference the proper position according to figure 13-15 but that picture was not included
Does anyone have this from the old manual as it isnt in my newer manual

It's right there infront of you. Look again.
How many ways can you bolt on a flywheel to the crank?
Have you tried it?

I know it only goes on one way but I was needing a reference point b4 I drilled it out I found it finally. but because it only goes on one way doesnt mean the flywheel is referenced to tdc as the crank could be in any position. But the answer is the two holes at 10 & 11 o'clock are the only two close together and the template doesn't show that too well

Blow up the drawing to life size. (????????)
Since you know it only goes on one way, ........
The drawing has all you need to know right there.
It doesn't need to be @ TDC. Just copy what youy see. Being at TDC has nothing to do with drilling the wheel.
Line up the bolt holes like in the drawing and go.

Look at the diagram closer.
The 2 closest boltholes are faced at @ the 10 o'clock position (more like 10:30).
The other reference is to have what looks like a rectangle based off 4 bolt hole points, with the longest part of that rectangle being horizontal.

FYI, a slant six flywheel WILL bolt up to a V-8 crank, except for 1 bolt hole being half the hole's diameter off.
That would add confusion to this if you happen to have a /6 flywheel.

Mark.

i dont think the drawing is to scale but anyway 2 of the bolt holes are closer together than the rest and they are at approx 10 and 11 o'clock ... that was all I neede for a reference I just didnt see that at first
I have it all marked out and center punched just trying to locate a drill bit now if not I will figure out an alternative method

Hope it all works out fine for you Outlaw. Lets us know.

-
Back