318 gurus/historians

-

dostroupe

Reaction score
Someone tell me what I have. I bought a '77 D100, neat little truck, I've had many. It had sat for 18 years in a metal shed. 318 auto with air, P/S, P/B and the adventurer package. I slowly brought it back to life, and it ran great. Having sat for so long, it started leaking oil, trans fluid and even gear oil from the rear end. Got the trans and rear taken care of, so all that was left was the motor, out it came! After pulling it and washing it I started noticing traces of orange paint under what was left of the mopar blue. I had noticed the the casting date was 1981. As I disassembled things, I started noticing the following: the intake had been removed before (silicone on the china walls), double roller timing chain (cheap one I've never seen before) and a 90* oil filter adapter. Didn't really think much about it until I started to paint and reassemble things. I set the new felpro intake gaskets on the heads (I always use the 360 intake gaskets) they matched. I looked up the casting numbers for the heads and they said '80-'81 318 hipo, 360 heads. I cleaned and painted the harmonic balancer and it has 30*before and 30* after TDC (never ever saw that before). I know it's still a low compression 318 with 360 heads. But, just curious, truck motor or cop car motor. What do you think?

Make sure it's a 318 by the numbers cast into the side of the block. Look for a casting number as well.

It's a 318, didn't research the casting numbers. I was sitting here at work wondering. I need to look at the intake also, it's 2bbl, but like I said it's been removed before or swapped.

VIN# off the block and the #'s below the drivers head at the front of the block

Like mentioned above, the numbers. I wonder if there is "T" stamped below left head too. I have seen it on B, RB blocks but those were from Trenton Engine. 318's were from Mound Road Engine. All were blue that year, at least in the Truck Plant. There may have been a different color on the Mitsubishi diesel in 1978, but everything I saw for years in the 1970's was blue. If your engine came out of passenger car, oil pan was likely swapped because trucks had a rear sump pan. Also, distributor tag number is a clue, but only that, a hint or clue.

I'm not expecting it to be much, just curious. The orange paint was on the back of both heads, not like totally covered, just spots. At first I thought it was flash rust from giving it a pressure washer bath. But when I looked closer there was blue paint over it and you could take your fingernail and flake it off.

The VIN on the block A116065 and what looks like the top of an 8 in front of the A.
The numbers on the front of the block under the drivers head are 2 letters 318 02120081.
The head casting numbers are 4027596.

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

I got one of those also! I've messaged him a few times.
I looked at getting a car with a /6, I'm not paying almost $600 for a 4 barrel intake and no telling what a header would be. I did find a couple of used intakes for like $450.

I looked at getting a car with a /6, I'm not paying almost $600 for a 4 barrel intake and no telling what a header would be. I did find a couple of used intakes for like $450.
dan, if you just want a cruiser a /6 is great. they're good on fuel and go forever if you keep the fluid levels checked.
neil.

dan, if you just want a cruiser a /6 is great. they're good on fuel and go forever if you keep the fluid levels checked.
neil.
That's for sure, I had a few back in the day. Just in the last few minutes I saw a awesome 71 dart with a/6

The best thing with mine was a 2bbl carb and electronic ignition! Then the headers and dual exhaust. Admittedly I’m a little bored with it now. But it is sweet

I have a great running 225 Slant with the super six (Two-barrel carb) setup and electronic ignition.
Looking to swap it out with a 340 or 360.
Runs great, always starts even on 2-year-old gas....

Engine Now.jpg

nothing wrong with a 318..... or that /6. dont have to skip over those to have a cool car.....

-
Back