318 in a truck

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
i have an 85 Dodge Royale with an LA 318, 727, 10 bolt rear. I am having cooling system issues or i should say warming issues. What it is, I can start the truck and let it warm up. 30 minutes later, its finally warm. I get going down the road and the temp gauge crawls back down to the cool mark.

I changed the thermostat and the symptoms improved. Only takes 15 minutes to warm up, but once again I get going down the road and the needle drops... I put piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and that helped, but not by much at all.

I was told the heater core could cause this issue, but im not having any leaks in the floor or steam on the windshield.

Any help is apreciated

"New" does not mean "good". I'd try another stat, and if possible, change the place brand where you got the last one.

^x2 Sounds like your new tstat is a lemon or WAY out of temp range. So long as your heater isnt turned on it will have no effect on your cooling so disregard that.

take the tstat back and buy a warmer one.

i did change to another new one. i also tested it in boiling water to make sure. The one i took out the 1st time was indeed stuck open. i removed the second one and it was working properly, but i replaced it anyway. i currently have a fail safe in it now. when im feeling a little better, I'll go ahead and remove and test it at the very least. Its a 195*

Ok. So, I checked the thermostat in rusty and its definitly closing and opening at the correct temperatures (monitered with a thermometer used for cooking poultry?)

Someone also threw block blockage in my direction ie casting sand in the coolant passage? My intake gaskets also leak oil.

-
Back