318 LA roller block questions

-
For some reason that feels sarcastic :)
Oh crap, I did t check what was written… it should have said;

“That’s what I’d be ordering” as in those very parts listed.
Sorry about that! My bad.
:BangHead:

Oh crap, I did t check what was written… it should have said;

“That’s what I’d be ordering” as in those very parts listed.
Sorry about that! My bad.
:BangHead:

hahahh i was like... man.... that was a bit mean :)

Called mancini bout 20 mins ago.. rockers/intake/oil pump on the way.. Holding off on the heads hoping for a sale since it's a 4 month wait anyway.. Engine stand showed up today so i can pull the pan and check everything and start cleaning :) Starting to get exited bout this project...

Also watched some really good videos on how cams work and such today... i have a much better understanding but need to figure how to apply the knowledge now

P.S. i did end up just going with the shaft oil and not do dual oiling... figure it's designed to work that way so hopefully it works :)

Last edited:
Yep, on stock applications
haha k.. killin me... i fretted for way too long on which way to go, thing is though, i don't see myself going much over .550-.575 lift or around 320# over the nose.. so don't think it will be an issue.

haha k.. killin me... i fretted for way too long on which way to go :)
The very first 318 ( 1970 dated) I pulled apart had oil though pushrods from the factory. I thought that's how they all came to begin with.

The very first 318 ( 1970 dated) I pulled apart had oil though pushrods from the factory. I thought that's how they all came to begin with.
I hate that way my brain works... i see the worst case scenario of everything.. which makes me insanely overthink things.. So.. i could do pushrod+shaft knowing i have plenty of oil but i also figured it would just lead to something stupid i hadn't considered..

Every Mopar engine I build has oil through. If you think you're going to empty the sump oil into the rocker covers, you're not.

Every Mopar engine I build has oil through. If you think you're going to empty the sump oil into the rocker covers, you're not.

Ah well.. it is what it is now.. :) i'll stress silently here on my own hahah

And third thing... Is there an advantage to 1.6 ratio over 1.5 other than a little more lift? I don't get why people go 1.6 when doing a build if you are just going to order a cam anyway, why not get the cam with the lift you want to start with? This is just more of a curiosity that i might be missing something with 1.6.
Just adding more lift to the cam directly can cause too fast of ramps, main reason people go with roller cams can go with faster ramps and more lift.

Just adding more lift to the cam directly can cause too fast of ramps, main reason people go with roller cams can go with faster ramps and more lift.
Ah, i hadn't thought bout using 1.6 with a big lift takes some work off the lifter itself... makes sense. I went with 1.5 which is fine, i won't be doing anything huge

I hate that way my brain works... i see the worst case scenario of everything.. which makes me insanely overthink things.. So.. i could do pushrod+shaft knowing i have plenty of oil but i also figured it would just lead to something stupid i hadn't considered..
Nothing wrong with that, engine is a big investment and your basically re engineering it, best to ask if not sure.

This becomes true in aggressive ramp cams but not so much with milder cam ramps. Too bad there is t a clear site to where this is exactly. I myself think that cross over line might be somewhat of a living line.

Came home and pulled the heads, a bit of crosshatch still showing, almost no ridge at all.. thing has some miled though, lifters need a bit of help out of their bores.. Still pretty happy though :) Gonna throw the 302 heads on facebook see if anyone wants to trade for a spider and dogbones

So... i have a question... i was recommended a machine shop bout 30 mins away that has great reviews from people near me.. so i'm considering actually just doing the 390 now (in for a penny in for a pound).. what i'm wondering though is, if you can go 390 or 408 (for 360s obviously) without much work why does no one do a 4.25 stroke or bigger? i did some searching and saw that bloomer did years ago but that seems to have died off. Is there a reason? Piston speed issues? or just that no one bothers making the cranks?

P.S. ah.. and after posting this i found Campbell still sells 4.125 cranks, and even Poly stroker kits which i imagine are not cheap :)

A Poly strikers fist is in the pistons alone as everything else is the same as an LA (which I’m sure you know)

There was a 4.25 crank made a while back (I forget who offered this) but as you noticed what a Campbell offers, Hughes engines also offers a 4.17 stroke crank and/or an entire rotating assembly.

While piston speed and crank bearing speeds are a concern, few ever actually reach that level of rpm. I also see it this way, if a NHRA 500 cubic inch engine can rev 10 or 10K plus, why can’t your engine? So long as the oiling is taken care of, now your down to valve train components being up to task.

When you get there, you’ll notice the cost is prohibitive to most people.

I do t know what the journal sizes are to the 4.15 crank but ahi he’s engines uses a reduced size. I forget what it is at the moment. BUT!!!!! If there is enough meat on the journal to grind it to a 4.25, now it’s just more money.

Yeah.. one thing i wanted was a mechanical pump which luckily this motor has.. i just need to find a spider and get some lifters and i assume any LA roller cam will work (for now probably a mild voodoo)
I'm just happy the motor is pretty clean inside, i ran a scope in the bores and mild carbon on the pistons and crosshatches on the cylinders..
View attachment 1716036923
Compared to my poly... Now this is a dirty motor :)

View attachment 1716036924
i have lifters,spider and dogbones if you need them

Yeah, looking for a spider and dogbones now... being an LA with spider bosses/magnum roller lifter bores, i should be able to use pretty much any LA roller cam shouldn't i? The motor already has the LA timing cover/mechanical fuel pump..

P.S. for cam i was looking at this.. for this year i just want a nice driver but would still like a good runner, Mainly why i am wanting good heads and such which can be used on a bigger build. I'm still using a highway gear and stock converter for this year also.. don't want to find a pig and pay for new axles just yet
Lunati cam choice..
i mentioned i had lifters,dogbones and spider earlier, i also have the pushrods

awesome :) I must have missed it sorry. will PM tomorrow, thanks

MMmm... Shiny new parts

P.S. i'm kinda shocked at how heavy the rocker shafts are.. and really happy to see them slotted :) :)
2023-01-23 13.49.42.jpg

Last edited:
Rumble, if you see this.. Just curious if you have any thoughts on picking a cam using Vizards method? After reading/watching a ton and using his formula i should end up with a 109LSA.
Was looking at this howards cam #718005-09
If i am understanding what i was reading now, the lunati cam i was looking at i believe was 113/110 LSA and would have moved my torque up the band too much also losing cyl pressure.
P.S. i have pretty much decided i will have 3.55 gears by end of summer.. (maybe 3.23) I used to run 3.91's and it's just annoying on the street after awhile..
thanks for any info/opinion
d5085f793178242c7d469435dca92b4d.png

-
Back