318 LA Roots Blower Build

-

SniperDel

Reaction score
Hello, Im over on the B body forums but I figured I'd post up here as well. I found a weiand 177 for 1400$ new from a speed shop. The guys were gonna put it on a 408 sbc build but figured out it wasn't going to produce enough boost. I got the blower coming in today minus the belt, crank pulley and manifold. Im going to do a manifold adapter plate. Here's all I'm figuring that I will need.

650-750 carb (350$)
2-4" aluminum plate (intake manifold adapter, just gotta find it)
larger fuel line?
ARP Stud kit (150$)
belt (30$)
hei distributor (60-200$? Still not sure which make I should get)
2800 cfm electric fan with relay cut off kit (found one for 60$)
MSD boost timing control module (found for 140$)
Head/manifold gasket set (150$)
Crank Pulley (unsure how much or where to find on)

As far as I can figure doing a stock long block that's the basics that I will need for now. I personally want to get the transmission redone and I have a Mopar 8 3/4 with 4.10 posi's that I need to get bearings for and rebuild. Probably also need new studs for the axles as well. Any input is greatly appreciated. The big problem I'm having is finding a crank pulley. Would a chevy crank pulley be able to work in theory?

If it bolts on and is spaced correctly, a pulley is a pulley.

Crank pulleys for Mopar are pretty universal including the 426 Hemi and big block. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a crank pulley for a Hemi and it should bolt to your crank hub.

That's what I had figured. I'm leaning heavily towards the Paxton pulley. Seems to be the most logical route to go and it's 10 rib as well. For timing I'm not too certain how to prevent detonation but I need to do some more reading up on it. I understand if you retard timing on say 10-12lbs of boost you'll let the cylinder pressure relieve a little bit before ignition preventing detonation (correct me if I'm wrong)

Vortech make a universal 10 rib pulley which is 7.8" diameter for about $140 if that helps.

That's actually helps out a ton. I'm now trying to figure out what to do for the intake manifold. I was thinking about doing a dual carb or a high rise. Not all to sure yet.

-
Back