318 magnum into a slant car?

-

cfordyce05

Reaction score
hello, i was just wondering what in would take to put a newer 318 into my dart. could i used a 727 bolted up to it or would i need to put on a newer tranny as well? the idea of just slapping in a magnum and having 230hp is pretty appealing to me. i know i'll have to splice in the wiring harness and cpu. i have a slant right now, so i'll need a bigger radiator and some fatter torsion bars. i don't know what else i'm missing, maybe different fuel lines to handle the EFI. thanks for any of your input. if you could point me toward someone who has done a conversion like this would be much appreciated.

casey

This can be done but not cheaply, as you will have to change the engine mounts or K member. Then you will need a fuel pump from either aeromotive or holley to have enough pressure from a external pump for the fuel injection. I would leave the 6 cyl. bars in the car to help save some expense for now. As far as the transmission gos the bolt up is the same from 67-05 as I have discussed this with the tech engineers and made the measurements myself. The problem that arises is weather or not the bolt pattern is the same with the torque converter for externally balanced engines, if it's internally balanced then simply redrill the holes and bolt it up. If it isn't right, but it should be close as I haven't check this, but then I haven't wanted to do this either. Maybe someone else could shed some light on this. The 5/16 fuel lines should be plenty for the street. But I would go with the recommendations from the manufacturer of the pump.

BJR Racing

Why not use the trans that comes with the magnum engine? You will need a fuel return line back to the tank. Another way is to convert the Magum engine to Carb and Standard Mopar electronic ignition. Then you will not need to do all the computer interface.

-
Back