318 Motor Priming Issue

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO!

Well, I'm really hoping for some info here that helps me avoid a worst-case-scenario.

Today I primed my 318LA engine, in preparation to fire it soon. I had a helper turn the engine over with the ignition key while I use the drill to prime the pump. After a few seconds, the driver side rockers were getting oil. Passenger side was dry. We kept at it for another 4 attempts, but still never got oil to the passenger side. The last attempt was about 10 seconds long, with drill going and engine turning over.

Doing some research I'm seeing some talk about the cam bearing being out of alignment.
I'm really, really hoping that is not the case. I would be crushed to get this far into my build just to have to pull the engine.

Is there anything I can check or maybe I'm missing here? Pics below.

Thanks for any replies.

IMG_20221120_183838153_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_183846614_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_184058445.jpg

IMG_20221120_184340684_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_184352888_HDR.jpg

Instead of cranking the motor over with the starter use a socket and breaker bar and turn it over Slowly by hand while you are running the drill.

Check to see if you have the rocker shaft upside down or turned the wrong way. That will be the simplest thing to check for. The 2nd rocker shaft bolt from one end or the other will be where the oil comes up to the rockers. While you have the shaft off to check, run the primer drill and spin it over a time or 2 to see if oil squirts out. If it does, problem is from there up. If it don't, :( !

IIRC if the rocker shaft is installed backwards it can cause oiling issues.

You beat me by a moment!

Forgot to add...when you figure out which rocker stand the oil is supposed to squirt from, put a rag over it before you prime it and turn it.....just in case you get lucky!

The camshaft only lines up to oil the top in two places.....and I don't remember what those are. lol I always had to ask Tony (RIP) (70aarcuda), but unfortunately, he's no longer with us. If you're only allotting 10 second intervals with the drill, that's one issue. I would also not use the starter to turn it. I'd do it by hand, because you have a bit more control. Try turning it like 20 degrees from TDC at the time and priming. If everything's installed properly, you'll get it eventually.

Thank you for all the replies.

First off, I didn't build this engine. I bought it from another FABO member, who said it was a strong runner, no issues, etc. So I have no idea if the bearings were lined up with the oil port holes.

Second, how do I tell if the shaft is installed either upside down or the wrong way around? What am I looking for?

I will try cranking it with the breaker bar instead of the ignition.

Thanks again

I got this info from our member @Rapid Robert . Saves on cranking and gives time for the oil to move to the heads.

the drivers head oils at 20 ATDC #6 compression and the pass head oils at 90 deg (1/4 turn) BTDC #1 compression. this'll minimize the crank turning. I like to do the pass head then go CCW back around (EDIT meant to say "to then oil the dr head" then back up a bit more from 20 ATDC to 15-20 BTDC #6 compression for the initial) & get the rotor under the #6 plug wire.

First off, I didn't build this engine. I bought it from another FABO member, who said it was a strong runner, no issues, etc. So I have no idea if the bearings were lined up with the oil port holes.

Second, how do I tell if the shaft is installed either upside down or the wrong way around? What am I looking for?

Thanks again
There will be small holes in the shaft that line up with each rocker arm. Those holes should be pointed down, not up. Those rocker arms you are using should have what are called banana grooves cut across those small holes to help distribute the oil. Also, the 5/16 holes that the hold down bolts go thru, the 2nd one from one end will be bigger on the bottom of the shaft than it will on top where the bolt goes in. That hole being larger allows the oil to flow up from the rocker shaft pedestal it flows thru and flow thru the shaft and oil the rockers thru the small holes and grooves.
If the oil squirts out of the pedestal while the rocker shaft is off, and the shaft was turned correctly, the rocker shaft may be stopped up with crud from an old motor. If it is, you can knock the plugs out of the end of the shaft and clean it out with a barrel brush and solvent. Hope this is a help and not more confusion!
Oh..... take the spark plugs out while you're turning it by hand. It will be a helluva lot easier!

Thanks again
Most rocker shafts have a slot in one end. On the passenger's side the slot faces to the rear of the engine and down. On the driver's side the slot faces to the front and down. Some shafts do not have slots, so the way to make sure is to find the small oiling holes in the shaft. They should face down and toward the valve springs.

Last edited:
Let's see what the back side of pass rocker shaft looks like and the same for drivers side front.
Those are the sides that should have "markers" whether its notches or marks of some kind.

Most rocker shafts have a slot in one end. On the driver's side the slot faces to the rear of the engine and down. On the driver's side the slot faces to the front and down. Some shafts do not have slots, so the way to make sure is to find the small oiling holes in the shaft. They should face down and toward the valve springs.
Psssst.... on your second drivers side, you forgot to say Australian drivers side!
:rofl: :poke:

Alright, thanks again for all the replies. So, I verified that the slots in the shaft matched what RRR said. Driver's side at the front, facing down. Pass side at the rear facing down. I turned the crank by hand and was able to get some oil out of the passenger rockers, then my drill died. So, again, I appreciate y'all so much!

-
Back