318 oil pan question ?

-

Double Six

Reaction score
Well to start things off, we had purchased a newly rebuilt 318 from a friend and tried putting it in the 67 Barracuda that I'm helping my son get up and going again, today, but it didn't go so well . We had it almost in, but the oil pan would not, and was not, going to clear the steering link.Then I remembered he said it had come out of a 4 wheel drive truck. then it clicked in my old burnt out brain I remembered somewhere some of the truck engines came with a larger oil pan ,like 7 qts. So we pulled it back out and I went and got a pan off of a 69 318 I had dis .assembled. The engine we were trying to put in was a 79 and the pan was a little different besides being larger . It was smooth around the front and rear seal area and the older model had little holes in both areas .I suppose the seals have little tits that go down in there on the older one . We also changed the oil pump pickup because the truck engine had a longer one.I guess what I'm asking is will this pan work ok on this engine . It looks the same except where the seal area is.. Sorry about the long post ,just wanted to explain Thanks, Double Six:???:

What engine was in Cuda that was removed? Might need v8 drop centerlink. MT

The 67 and up does not require a drop center link.

It originally came with a 273 commando,but since then, it has had a 318 and no problem till today. I just wanted to know if that old 69 oil pan would work ok on that 79 engine with out any problems.

Any non-360LA oil pan will fit on any non-360LA engine. Use the matching oil pick-up. I dont know about Magnums. But IIRC the Magnums didnt come along til the 80s somewhere.

Magnums came along in 1992 for the 318, and 1993 for the 360

It originally came with a 273 commando,but since then, it has had a 318 and no problem till today. I just wanted to know if that old 69 oil pan would work ok on that 79 engine with out any problems.

Yes, a 69 pan will work on a 79 engine, but the 69 pan has the end seals with 6 tabs/nipples that pull through the holes in the pan - you have to tell the parts guy to get the 66-69 oil pan gasket set for the proper end seals to be included...

Truck oil pans have a center hump and pick-up where car pans have the hump toward the rear of the pan. You need to get a car oil pan and pick up tube. You can get new pick up tubes from NAPA if you don't want to clean up an old one...

360 oil pans have a different radius over the rear main, and are therefore unique to 360's and will not interchange with a 273-318-340.

However the 273-318-340 oil pans will interchange with those engines, just get the proper truck or car pan for your application.

Here's a link to a thread on ID'ing and interchangeability of the sb oil pans:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=277430

-
Back