318 race engine 4104230-318 any info. on these engines?

-
DQ81 i have seen the motor with the heads off and if memory serves they were flat top pistons. Unfortunatly the engine is kind of inaccesable right now so i can't pull them off again. sorry. C130 chief, Like i said to DQ81 unfortunatly i can't pull the heads off because i'd like to check the bore on it. Also since my engine stand is occupied i can't pull the oil pan off to look and see if it has 4 bolt mains. Once the 400 is off the stand i think i'll check. Thanks for the great info. guys!!

DQ81 i have seen the motor with the heads off and if memory serves they were flat top pistons. Unfortunatly the engine is kind of inaccesable right now so i can't pull them off again. sorry. C130 chief, Like i said to DQ81 unfortunatly i can't pull the heads off because i'd like to check the bore on it. Also since my engine stand is occupied i can't pull the oil pan off to look and see if it has 4 bolt mains. Once the 400 is off the stand i think i'll check. Thanks for the great info. guys!!

Sweet, I look forward to hearing what you find!

I'm still looking for that article....lol

tia

I just got one of these engines today and I was confused by it coming up as a "race" block. They do havr flat top pistons in them and I'm not sure if mine was ever rebuilt but it has .010 bearings but no numbers on the rods so I assume their factory bearings leading me to believe their factory flat tops. Also mine doesn't have an "x or R" stamped into it anywhere as far as I can see. It has two bolt mains. However I have a 440 with r6 stamped on the front. This may be the wrong place to ask since this is about 318's but you all seem to know a lot about block stampings. So my question is does the r6 mean anything? I know they had r3's for racing but idk about an r6? Greatly appreciate any info on the 440

the X block used the same casting number as the 318...the X block was only sold from the factory...never put in any production engines...the X block also come with 3.91 bore from the factory...

the X block has a BIG X cast into the front of the motor just above where the dip stick tube would be...

so if you dont have the Big X...you have a production 318

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=95965

see link for picture

This is an old thread that I just came across. I have one of these engines. I tore it down and it has some very nice heads on it. Casting number 4071051. They also have HP30D cast into them.
I put new lifters, timing chain, and oil pump on it and it is currently on my test stand. I have a video on YouTube showing me starting it for the first time.
Mine was a 1981 smog motor, probably from a police car. It had a factory four barrel carb and manifold on it.
I am tearing it down again in a couple of weeks to re-ring it as it only has 120 lbs of compression. I do have pictures of the crank and heads from the first time I opened it.

As with the one above, no vin number and no "X".

I am tearing it down again in a couple of weeks to re-ring it as it only has 120 lbs of compression. I do have pictures of the crank and heads from the first time I opened it.

How much compression do you think a 1981 smog motor is supposed to have? Are all 8 cylinders about equal in compression?

-
Back