318 Ramcharger intake suggestions

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of changing the intake on my daily driver 87 Ramcharger. It is completely stock except dual exhaust. What I have is the stock LB carb already on it. Starts/runs/drives great. I also have a stock 360-2bbl intake and carb. Cast iron 360 spreadbore intake and a 650 Holley carb. I also have an Eddy sp2p intake and a 600 Holley square bore carb.
I personally am thinking of using the 360-2bbl combo that way i wouldnt have to worry much about linkage and still retain the choke. As i said it is driven to/from work (80mi/dy). The current intake has an oil leak by the dist, so it needs to be pulled to reseal the intake. Hopefully I covered everything.Thanks for the suggestions!

I was going to recommend an SP2P soon as I saw 318 Ramcharger. I think it will be excellent here.

I went with an Edelbrock Performer on mine. Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. Quite possibly the slowest vehicle I have ever owned. Thus the 440 I'm building for it. I have the stupid air filter turned sideways in these pics.
318 dressed up.jpg
318 dressed up 1.jpg
Winter Ramcharger.jpg
318 intake and VC.jpg

I believe the 360 2bbl intake will have bigger ports than the heads, but I could be wrong about that.
360 2bbl will have larger intake ports than the 318 heads. But that won't matter.... and I'm not saying this is the best option.

I say SP2P or Offy dual-port dual-plane....

Both are great low end grunt intakes, perfect for a truck....

Thanks everyone. Mopar to ya, my RC is the same color. I need the running boards on mine. It may be slow, but it sure is comfortable to drive.
SP2P and the spreadbore will probably be good for daily milage.
Thanks Paul

Been thinking about it.... Not sure on a clear winner.

SP2P or Performer or cast iron intake + TQ. But I would run the TQ. IF your keeping the leanburn, that TQ will work. Otherwise, you'll need to ether put in a vacuum advance port yourself with a small drill bit (copy earlier TQ's) or get another one. Then add a vacuum advance distributor.

That vehicle is a heavy mother with perfect brick like aerodynamics. You drive that pretty far each day. Mileage has got to be rough. I think a different ride is in order. If it has to be an old one, I'd look to an A with a small /6 or small V8 & an O.D. Transmission.

Been thinking about it.... Not sure on a clear winner.

SP2P or Performer or cast iron intake + TQ. But I would run the TQ.

That vehicle is a heavy mother with perfect brick like aerodynamics. You drive that pretty far each day. Mileage has got to be rough. I think a different ride is in order. If it has to be an old one, I'd look to an A with a small /6 or small V8 & an O.D. Transmission.

It's a beast most definitely! Its 40 miles each way to work and i do get around 12 mpg out of it, and had it almost 2 years already. It saves on me putting milage on my new Ram. I do think the 650 spreadbore carb is my best option to replace the 2bbl carb. The only drawback I see is no EGR with the SP2P intake.
Thanks Paul

I had a 40 mile one way commute at one time. I moved to a new house and increased it to nearly an exact 50 miles one way. My '03 Dakota did about 20 Hwy. liveable considering I was making a good buck to feed it.

Almost bought a Dart to replace it. The math almost balanced out.

-
Back