318 rebuild, rocker shaft and spacer question

-

InRogue

Reaction score
Wow new to the Mopar deal so I bought me an old "How to Rebuild Small Block Mopar Engines" book. On installing the rocker shafts the book says it differently in two chapters. From what I read on here and this is just to clarify...rocker shafts holes down with the notches to the left? Sound right. Also the spacers are installed narrow-wide-narrow-wide-narrow?....and yes I installed the rockers left/right, left/right and so on. Sound right.

I have never installed rocker shafts by where the notches are. They have no function in the oiling system. What is important is that the oiling holes are in the correct location to oil properly. The oil holes need to be pointing down and to the valve tip to oil properly. Your spacers are correct. Narrow to the outsides and center. Left / right is correct for the rockers as long as you are looking from the exhaust side of the head.

I have never installed rocker shafts by where the notches are. They have no function in the oiling system.

No, but they do mark how to orient the shafts.

Notch to the front and down driver side, notch to the rear and down passenger side.

I have never installed rocker shafts by where the notches are.

I had completely disassembled them and cleaned the rockers, shafts and bolts. I read somewhere if the not notches were not reinstalled in the correct manner the rockers would not get oiled.

Notch to the front and down driver side, notch to the rear and down passenger side.
Thats how I reassembled them, oil holes down and both are a mirror image of each other...the notches too are to the left.

I have a set of crane shafts that have no notch. That is why I feel it is more important to know the proper orientation of the oil holes so that the rocker arms are oiled as designed. When setting the oil holes down and to the valves the rockers will be oiled properly as designed no matter where a notch may be or not be.

-
Back