318 Rebuild - Upgraded Parts?

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
I spoke to a local Engine Rebuilder today and was quoted $2500 to stock rebuild. He said he would subtract price if upgraded supplied parts were used. I have stock 340 exhaust manf. that will be used with dual exhaust. Looking to have something as a cruiser with nice sound and able to pin your head back and light up the tires - no racing. What can I add to achive that or what can I have him machine, want to keep on the Low$$. Suggestions needed

Thanks,

and able to pin your head back and light up the tires
This statement in itself is a problem.

To run with your idea of saving a few bucks at the re-builder via getting your own parts, with more performance in mind, get a set of Kb pistons for the 318. They have a set of inexpressive Hyper U's. Just find out if the block is or needs to be over bored before ordering.

Getting neck snapping performance requires;

High gear ratio which will also get yourself into more parts like wider tires and a upgraded torque converter, AKA, more stall.

Is a set of 4.10 gears, a 3000 stall converter to much for you to get and use on the car?

There are some things you have to have to make good power. One is a decent compression ratio and good ring seal. So replace the pistons with the KB hypers. You have to have the block machined anyway, so have them deck the block to get the pistons to the deck height. Have it internally balanced. Then, you have to have a solid set of heads. I'd scrap yours and replace with EQ Magnums. Than you can bolt on anything, run a decent cam, and make some reliable power. Not sure what he included for that price, but I know I could do something similar for $3500 or so... and it will equal any mild 340 you come accross.

-
Back