318 roller motor

-

duster harry

Reaction score
I recieved a low milege 318/904 out of a dippy, My question is can i change the cam shaft back to a hyd tappet cam, or am i stuck with the roller set up. The heads are #302 still with shaft mounted rockers. I just wanted to change the cam , add a 4 barrel carb and set of headers, for a friends car (he doesnt have much money) and want to use the 318. Has any on used the stock roller cam with 4 barrle and headers?

I recieved a low milege 318/904 out of a dippy, My question is can i change the cam shaft back to a hyd tappet cam, or am i stuck with the roller set up. The heads are #302 still with shaft mounted rockers. I just wanted to change the cam , add a 4 barrel carb and set of headers, for a friends car (he doesnt have much money) and want to use the 318. Has any on used the stock roller cam with 4 barrle and headers?

You can change it back to flat hyd if you too. Is there something wrong with the roller cam?
I think in the long run you would be better off staying with the roller due to the zinc levels in the newer oils used today.
And yes you can run a stock roller cam with 4 barrel carb and headers with no problems.

Zinc alone isn't a reason.
The real reason would be that roller cams make more power, one reason is they open faster and stay at max lift longer allowing your to really flow.

The stock spec'd roller in the 318 sux, But you can have reground to a better profile and then buy a snout extension if need be for the fuel pump and your set.

If you wanna just throw a flat tap in there it slides right in and only really needs some regular old hyd push rods, did the same thing with my 84' 318 roller motor+ 340 cam and 67' 318 closed chambered heads.

3404spd has a great point. Personal choice would be to save the bucks and have the OE reground to a healthy spec for the task at hand. It'll be the best bucks spent. The over advantage in a like speced Hyd or solid cam will be out matched by the roller. The torque curve will jump right up alone.

WHat i was getting at was, has anyone here used a stock roller cam motor and added a 4 barrel, and headers, and how did it run afterwards, its going into a 70 cuda for now, until he can finish his big block biuld. He just wants to drive the car.

LOL, in that case, enjoy about 250 HP out of it.

-
Back