318 simple bolt on setup for more horsepower

-
I got a 1406 kicking around the garage I could let go for cheap
I ran it on my 360 last year but shelved it when that got upgraded

Stock 4bbl's better than the Performer- somebody listed good intakes worth moving to. If you're actually looking to make good power I wouldn't be putting other 318 heads on there. Either some later 360 heads milled down if you're not doing the pistons or move to aftermarket Magnum replacements. There's a lot of even 318 long blocks that'd increase the power well by swapping to them over keeping what's in it.

Is that a stock year 318?

Head flow over compression or did we forget this lesson learned?
The offers of the Edelbrock carb and intake are really nice offering I would jump on. Or the Holley carb. I've run both on mellow 318 engines and they perform the same. Equal.

What gear ratio do you want to run and tire size?

Purchase the cam in a kit. Everything that is needed including a timing chain. Some places like Comp Cams will have all of these parts matched up.

Headers into a Summit/Jegs exhaust kit is an easy and inexpensive way to get it done quickly.

Your now 90% done with the power department.

FOR SURE..... You will NEVER be happy..... NEVER.... :(
We can pick out your wife too, to be sure your happy :D
Lol im cool with the 318 and im very happy with my wife but im not taking it to the track or doing any street racing neither i just want to cruise around hot August night's in style with something i did myself nothing major

Stock 73 340 manifold and Thermoquad 750cfm rocked on my 318, the port size mismatch created turbulence that made one hell of lot of mid range torque, which worked really well with the 727.

Stock 73 340 manifold and Thermoquad 750cfm rocked on my 318, the port size mismatch created turbulence that made one hell of lot of mid range torque, which worked really well with the 727.
If you still have that set up, port the OE heads to match the intake ports with larger valves being a plus.

Your never going to be happy with this 318...I would start saving my money for another bullet....I would not spend a penny on the 318....

I built a great little 318 that I drove every day for 7 years and put 500,000 miles on it...

Stock 340 cam, 9.2 compression, 77 360 heads, 68 340 intake with Holley 600 vac secondaries in a 68 Barracuda with 2.76 gears it got 17.75 MPG...

I call bullshit....
I believe him, I could get 20 mpg in that Dart with the 318 and 340 intake and TQ when it had 2.76 gears.
But I had to keep my foot out it, run the tires at 34 psi, AC off.
And that was with the 14" ralleye wheels and narrower tires than it has now.
Normal fun driving gave about 15.

I believe him, I could get 20 mpg in that Dart with the 318 and 340 intake and TQ when it had 2.76 gears.
But I had to keep my foot out it, run the tires at 34 psi, AC off.
And that was with the 14" ralleye wheels and narrower tires than it has now.
Normal fun driving gave about 15.
My '65 Ply with 318/2.94's got 20 mpg. We got 24 mpg with a Aspen R/T that had a 318 3-speed OD.

My '65 Ply with 318/2.94's got 20 mpg. We got 24 mpg with a Aspen R/T that had a 318 3-speed OD.
It's an 833- a true 4 speed, just 3rd gear is an overdrive. But yeah, I got around that with mine with a 904.

I call bullshit....
That's essentially built to 340 specs. Only thing lacking is the bore. And I get the same MPG on the road with a 340 with 3.2s so I don't see how that's far fetched at all.

I agree. A tamer cam would have netted you 20+ mpg's for sure.
Crap! I got 20 mpg's out of my '79 Magnum with a 360/904/2.76
Factory 4bbl. 625 Fed-Mougal AFB, MSD triggering a factory distributor, & dual exhaust @ 2-1/4. With twin cats I have to ad.
(Couldn't get around the law of the time.)The car loaded with fuel was over 4K in weight.

Factory 4bbl. 625 Fed-Mougal AFB, MSD triggering a factory distributor, & dual exhaust @ 2-1/4. With twin cats I have to ad.
(Couldn't get around the law of the time.)The car loaded with fuel was over 4K in weight.

My dad had a 76 charger with a stock 360 2 bbl that got 20 MPG highway...

It's possible...

How about this..... I got 17 mpg in a '70 Dodge truck with a 340 going 65 mph from Illinois to Colo. :D

Mine was like 23, lost a couple from the 318.

How about this..... I got 17 mpg in a '70 Dodge truck with a 340 going 65 mph from Illinois to Colo. :D
That sounds more like it. I've always wondered why you don't hear much of people getting better fuel mileage with a 2wd than a 4wd that's a decent bit higher.

Lol im cool with the 318 and im very happy with my wife but im not taking it to the track or doing any street racing neither i just want to cruise around hot August night's in style with something i did myself nothing major
If that's true, then just put some gears in it .And maybe a lil looser TC.

Cool another suisun city guy. Let me know if you need a hand wrenching. I have a weiand stealth you can try out if you wish.
Luke

-
Back