318 small oil leak

-

lens65valiant

Reaction score
Hello guys sorry if my question is too vague, but i have a small oil leak dont know where it is coming from or if its enough to worry about, Ive never had to add oil level is good, Ive added some pictures of the foam underneath the car to show the amount that is leaking and the little puddle ive dried up on the engine View attachment 20160326_130501.jpg

View attachment 20160326_130756.jpg

View attachment 20160326_130802.jpg

View attachment 20160326_130629.jpg

View attachment 20160326_130644.jpg

View attachment 20160326_130521.jpg

View attachment PhotoEditor-1458970821891.jpg

View attachment Screenshot_2016-02-05-12-01-09-1.jpg

the oil you see on your intake is from the intake bolts, the oil wicks up and lands on your intake. You need to put some Teflon or Permatex sealer on the bolts before you install them. Hope this help you.

maybe a engine crank main seal?
Or the oil pan? A tips when mounting the pan is to fastening the bolts with a torque wrench in a cross patten.
But the oil leak can come from many places, dip stick? front cover? camshaft seal? valve cove? its hard to tell.

But i don't think it is any danger, it probably only give you some rust protection when you drive around.

Thank you do you think this would cause the small leak underneath too i know its not alot but I try to keep her in top shape.

the oil you see on your intake is from the intake bolts, the oil wicks up and lands on your intake. You need to put some Teflon or Permatex sealer on the bolts before you install them. Hope this help you.

It can't be from the valve cover breathers?
But you explanation is probably more likely.

If you change any gaskets remember to fastening the bolts with a torque wrench as it will prevent mosts leaks regardless if it is valve covers, front cover or oil pan.

I Just wanted to make it clear, it really helps.

maybe a engine crank main seal?
Or the oil pan? A tips when mounting the pan is to fastening the bolts with a torque wrench in a cross patten.
But the oil leak can come from many places, dip stick? front cover? camshaft seal? valve cove? its hard to tell.

But i don't think it is any danger, it probably only give you some rust protection when you drive around.

the oil on the intake would not cause the oil drips on the floor. Check the areas from the above quote. Good luck finding your oil leak.

I chased a leak for a few days once. I ended up cleaning the motor at a spray wash and allowed it to dry, then I went under and used a spray bottle and a bottle of talc to dust the motor, all around the pan rail, uo front and across the trans bell. I let it idle for about 30 minutes and shut it doen. I looked at it a few days later and sure enough I found the track clear as day. It was the friggin oil sender, dripping down the trans seam to the inspection plate. You could do the same (and far easier) with some fluorescent oil marker dye and a UV flashlight. That works pretty good in the dark. Points to look: valve covers (especially cast, over an after market intake) front and rear intake seals, oil sender..?

rear main seals are common. oil will be on the back of the motor, maybe even putting some oil on your lower bell housing

Oil leaks bug me also!

When I started attacking them the first one I found on my 273 was the 90* oil filter adapter gasket leaking. Fixed it.

Next, I thought for sure my rear main seal was leaking. I cleaned everything up real well and it turned out to be the oil pan. Pain the the butt to fix. If you replace your oil pan gasket, make sure to get a good one. Almost anything but cork. I went with a fiber one.

Then...still had some oil. So...replace valve cover gaskets. I went with rubber. Even after replacing them, I had a small leak on the corner near the transmission dipstick. So, I used a little black RTV.

For now...no more oil leaks!!

-
Back