318 Stroker Build

-
The 360 open heads typically have larger chambers, by approximately 4-5 cc's than the 318, and larger ports. The 360 swirl port heads have about the same chamber size as the standard early 318 heads. The larger 360 ports allow more breathing, which is what will get you to over 300 HP.

IMHO, you would want either:
  • The 'open' chamber 360 heads, and put in 2.02" intake valves, with a proper valve job. Use the Mr Gasket 1121G head gasket to get to 9.5 CR.
  • If you used the '308' swirl port 360 heads , the chambers are smaller - approximately 68cc's - but you can maintain a 9.6 CR if you use the standard Felpro head gaskets PN 8553PT. Again, use 2.02" intake valves. Those 308 heads are supposed to have the best exhaust port, but if I recall correctly, they often get tiny hairline cracks around the valves.

There are plenty of intelligent and experienced guys here who can advise you very well about 360 cylinder heads better than me, like the part numbers to look for, the best way to port and modify them, and about any other differences between those and the 318 heads.

Actually it is not that hard to get some stock parts here because most of the people are tuning their rides anyway.

What are the main differences between 318 and 360 heads?
Port sizes, valve size, and combustion cc
The 360 heads will flow better because of the larger ports and valves. And you can port them to flow even better. With your piston choice compression isn't going to be an issue so for me 360. Heads are a no brainer. Flow makes hp. The engine has to breathe and 360 heads are gonna give you a advantage. The 302 318 heads only have an advantage if your trying to build compression which you don't have to worry about that.
9.5 is a good scr!
You will be around that with stock 360 heads with those pistons (kb399)
If you want more you can always work the heads and or get a thinner head gasket.

Hey fellas!
I want you to know my final setup.

$ KB Performance Pistons KB167-060
$ Alu heads similar to Edelbrock heads with 2" valves (springs and valves upgraded by the local moparshop) 9,8:1
$ Edelbrock 1405 carb
$ Edelbrock airgap rpm (won´t fit in a Duster with standard hight airfilter)
$ Lunati Voodoo Cam and Lifter Kit 10200702LK

$ COMP Cams Pro Magnum Shaft Mount Roller Rocker Arm 1622-16
$ MSD E-Curve
$ Felpro gaskets (don´t use Multi Layer Steel Head Gasket from Speedmaster. They leak)

Pics on my insta @jakuzzie !

Thanks for everything!

Google “LA confidential Mopar”
That very motor i ran in a 71 Duster i had( except with a dinky 231-238 hydralic cam)
30 over stock stroke 318
Ran 11.60’s in my 3400 pound flat hooded, full bench seat car with me( 320) behind the wheel.
It made 477 horse with the bigger flat tappet at Engine masters.
Drove that car everywhere. Stock tank and 5/16 fuel line. Pump gas.10.44 compression

Last edited:
My 318 build was with IMM indy stock valve size heads with a zero deck and the piston .005 in the hole. about 10.2:1 compression and stock stroke. My Dyno runs topped out at 286 hp @ 6200 and 267 torque @ about 5600 to the rear wheels. Was running a comp XE268H cam and a 4150 @ 675 cfm. Is a strong little mouse but opted later to build a 408 stroker for more power....now I want more power...you might find yourself that the 318 is a bunch of fun but I guarantee you the 408 is a bunch MORE fun....

roller rockers need the B3 or similar setup to get correct rocker geometry
any multilayer gasket requires different rms finish on both heads and block (and hylomar around the water holes)
what are the specs on that voodoo or do I have to look it up :)

-
Back